Light Abatement Techniques

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Light pollution abatement techniques is not something that I could just easily post here. Every situation is different, and lends itself to different approaches.

While speaking with an architectural reviewer for a planned community, I was asked for business cards because they liked my ideas (which are just common methods used by us all) in regards to glare issues, selective wattage of bulbs, etc.

More importantly than my own techniques, I would like to provide my own community as well as others in the area, with technical info and better ideas for street lamps. HID lights are scattered haphazardly, and not aimed at the ground. Is there a replacement light fixture I can recommend? Not a single homeowner here likes these blinding, idiotic lights. Why aren't they made to aim at the ground, like they did when I was young? The only benefit to the lights is that they look pretty during the day, when they are turned off.

My wife was serious about shooting them out, but I'm 42 and starting to mature a little.

Mike M.

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the City of Fayetteville here is doing a 10 year plan to replace all lights on city electricity with down facing LED clusters. love or hate them, they do go in one direction pointed well. the ideas is to show more stars at night. we've had a city ordinance for about 5 years now, and all commercial uplighting jobs are subject to inspection and rejection by code enforcement. they now are putting their money where their mouth is.

3. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

wow...okay first show us what they have now...and a plan...its hard to spec a fixture when we have no idea what the site looks like...

secondly I must commend your town DavidG...

I work out of the country alot and I am faced with surging fuel costs everyday...on this forum I find alot of guys who just have no concern for the environment when it comes to designing a job...or the dark sky...Our fuel and electric doesn't cost crap here when comparing it to place that I work...I have worked on resorts where their electric cost over a quarter million dollars a month!!! Try specifying that job. We cater to people with too much money and no concern for anyone or anything else...some of us think we are saving the environment by using low voltage lights...but nobody will explain to me why this is benficial...yes I am a low volt distributor...shame on me..just kidding...there are advantages yes...but its not the answer to everything...aiming, shielding, using low volt sometimes, using hid sometimes...all this talk about splices is funny to me too...The places that I spec lighting everything is in conduit...whether its low volt or not...think lowvolt loses some advantage there? everything is run in conduit, buring to a specified depth, wiring is done in junctions...Want to learn how to do lighting??? I'll have a Jamaican smoking a joint and digging with a machete teach you how to wire a low volt system up properly...wow what a rant and rave...How many people use low volt because its easy compared to line voltage? How many people can tell me how efficient there transformers are? How many people can telme what they pay per KW? or KWH? And what their LV system cots every night to run?

Kudos to AR and DavidG...and MikeM for wanting to learn all this stuff...

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Doug, So just what are you trying to say? Who was smokin you or the Jamaican? Take a deep breath. Just kidding you did have some good points.

5. NiteTymeIlluminations

you dont need to smoke in construction sites in jamaica...talk about contact buzz...tile layers are the craziest...but wow they do good work under the influence

6. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

I work out of the country alot and I am faced with surging fuel costs everyday...on this forum I find alot of guys who just have no concern for the environment when it comes to designing a job...or the dark sky... How are you able to decipher this through your computer screen?Our fuel and electric doesn't cost crap here when comparing it to place that I work...I have worked on resorts where their electric cost over a quarter million dollars a month!!! Try specifying that job. We cater to people with too much money and no concern for anyone or anything else This is a pretty unprofessional attitude to have regarding your clients who are paying your bills. If they really bother you that much why don't you turn the work over to Billy? I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down....some of us think we are saving the environment by using low voltage lights...but nobody will explain to me why this is benficial How about safety, lower cost of operation...yes I am a low volt distributor...shame on me..How do you sell products that you don't believe in?just kidding...there are advantages yes...but its not the answer to everything...aiming, shielding, using low volt sometimes, using hid sometimes...All of this negativity regarding the industry that you belong to is very disconcertingall this talk about splices is funny to me too...The places that I spec lighting everything is in conduit...whether its low volt or not...think lowvolt loses some advantage there? everything is run in conduit, buring to a specified depth, wiring is done in junctions...Want to learn how to do lighting??? I'll have a Jamaican smoking a joint and digging with a machete teach you how to wire a low volt system up properly...yes! you have a point there. Historically Jamaica has been known as being the mecca of low voltage outdoor lighting. In fact isn't Jamaica the country where the technology originated from?wow what a rant and rave...How many people use low volt because its easy compared to line voltage? How many people can tell me how efficient there transformers are? How many people can telme what they pay per KW? or KWH? And what their LV system cots every night to run? Most people who can afford a quality system , myself included, don't care. Whatever it is they are willing to pay for it because it increases not only their quality of life, improves the value and useability of their property but also enhances the feeling of safety and security for their families. That my friend you cannot place a price tag on. I hope you feel differently about your post once you've sobered up a bit.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

you dont want it I will take it and happily give you your refferal fee. I agree with Mike on alot of these points. I have had 1... count it 1 client ask me what this will cost to run each night and that was mearly out of curiosity. I seriously doubt he notices his 48 lights at 20w running with his 7 AC units cranking away to keep his family happy. I can tell you a kwh here is about 9.5 cents depending if you have Dixie EPA or MS power. My power bill runs on average 160 a month. 1 ac unit... 20 lights at 20w or less out front running 4 hours a night..ect... If someone is serious about how things look and the usability of thier prop they wont care about a few bucks. That resort your doing will look all the better when our done.

Maybe Im a bit off on here... long day and muscle relaxers are kicking in.

8. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

Here's my contribution to Light Polution (see photo). I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my friend and mentor Eddie Clemons for raising the level of the landscape lighting industry. The posting of his quality projects both showcasing his excellent design/install skills and photograhic talent is and inspiration to us all to reach higher levels in this wonderful industry of landscape illumination. This one is dedicated to you Eddie. God Bless us all. :usflag:

columns.jpg

9. NiteTymeIlluminations

I admitted i was ranting and raving...jeez lighten up...I love this country i just wish people, not us, consumers were a little more concious of how we waste alot of energy in this country...the comment about not caring is the reason consume so much more energy than we need...driving a hummer alone to get a loaf of bread doesnt make sense to me when you have a honda prelude sitting next to it...again...I was just ranting and raving...chill out...

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

doug... i like you... i really do but someone driving thier 8mpg hummer vs thier 30mpg honda is a poor comparison to the dollar it costs to run a lighting system for the night. I agree that our fuel consuption has gone way out of hand and we have surrounded ourselves with energy eating devices that we could prolly do without.

We could go back to heating hot water over a wood fire for our baths and save the energy of a hot water heater. Is it going to happen ? yeah right...I see soccer moms driving hybrid mini cars first.

Lets face it. If someone wants lighting they are going to get it... either line voltage or low voltage.. Its our resposibility to build the most effecient systems we can to minimize the energy usage.