Light colored grass in with KB that looks terrible?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Pittsburgh Panther, May 1, 2005.

1. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

Guys,

Sorry for this stupid question but I planted KB / perenial rye Lesco mixture a couple of years ago. My problem is now it seems this light colored grass is taking over the good grass. It grows in clumps and has a thicker blade than the darker perenial rye and KB. What type of grass is it and how do I get rid of it without killing my whole lawn? Oh I do have a lawnservices this year that did spray a preemergent so I doubt it is crab?

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I was just about to post the same question...ironic. I have the same Lesco blend and the same problem as you. I also have a lawnservice doing my fert. I'm wondering if it's a different seed variety that may have been mixed in with the Kentucky Blue/Rye. Hopefully someone can help us.

3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

got any close up pictures????

4. Pittsburgh Panther

from N.W. Pa

Attached are the pictures of the grass and how it looks in the lawn.

Hope this works.

IMG_9061 copy.jpg

IMG_9064 copy.jpg

IMG_9068 copy.jpg

5. Pittsburgh Panther

from N.W. Pa

Please remove other post with email on it.

Thanks

6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I'm certainly no expert but that looks like Tall Fescue to me. I overseeded with Lesco teammates seed last fall and it was a 90% Turf Type Tall Fescue and 10% Rye blend and my grass looks very similar to that in your picture. Maybe your Lesco seed had some Fescue mixed in?

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like poa annua ( annual bluegrass), thats a weed. you need to spot spray with round up & over seed about 2 weeks later, then in the fall be sure to put on a PM for it, poa germinates in the fall & takes control of the lawn in the spring. if left untreated it will choke out the good grass plants.
    If I identified it right. from what i see in the pics, I think I'm right.

8. Pittsburgh Panther

from N.W. Pa

Thats what I figured I was going to have to do. I didn't know about having to put the PM in the fall. Thanks for the advice.

I will have to talk with my neighbor and ask him I can kill part of his grass that buts up to my property. I think thats where it came from or maybe it was just in my lawn in the first place.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

probably came in from next door in the form of seeds last spring, go to Scotts web site & click on identify grass plant, this area describes the best ways to address poa problems. unless the neighbor is willing to help pay, just kill your own and just be sure to use the PM in the fall that should keep your lawn protected.
    thats why I'm here is to help if I can, I just hope I'm right.

10. Pittsburgh Panther

from N.W. Pa

It also might of came in small quantities when I used the straw when I first put in the lawn two years ago this fall.

Thanks again for the advice and I will spray and kill the stuff and over seed the areas.