Light Duty Chipper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Strongmd, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

We're not an actual tree company, but we frequently have a need for a chipper with more and more of our pruning jobs. Does anyone have a chipper or other tool that makes pruning debris easy to handle?
    Is any familiar with this chipper
    http://www.wikco.com/WoodproAVP.html
    or a similar type?
    It looks interesting to me, but I have never seen one around.
    May be a POS.
    Any input is appreciated.

2. Vermeere

Mobark

Brushbandit

Gravely

and a few others make 6" chippers.

For the money I like Gravely's with the chipper on a turning platter.

3. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a small chipper because we tow an enclosed trailer and it's a pita when we need a chipper. It's a dilemma. Do we take a chipper and throw the tools in the truck? OR take the enclosed trailer and run back for the chipper? I know that the chipper I'm referring to is very light duty, but I like the idea of throwing all the small pruning in as well. Look at this pic. This could be carried in the enclosed trailer.
    http://www.vandermolencorp.com/NAVFRAME-6.htm

4. Bring the junk back with you then shred it.

5. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Do you really think that makes sense? That seems like a huge waste of time to me. I find that prunings, especially chippable prunings, can become a tangled mess if you put them together and then try to pull them apart. Also, on a very large job, I'll be making 4 -5 trips un-chipped to each single chipped load (and that's just a guesstimate). Just throwing out thoughts here.

6. J-mike

J-mike LawnSite Member

If you're only worried about clippings and small branches 3" or less, Homedepot sell a small, cheap 10hp chipper/shredder for between $500 and $600.

It isn't vary large and will fit IN the trailer.

Just a thought.

7. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

Does anyone know anything about a Gravely Pro Chip 310 Wood Chipper? Are they any good and are parts still available? I've tried to research them on the internet but can't find much.

8. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Bear Cat 3" Chipper/Shredder - Model 70050

I am a solo op, this is what I use for small limbs and pruning jobs. Works great, I place it on my open trailer with mesh sides and chip away.

9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't trim trees, but we do have a lot of tornados here in Oklahoma. For that reason, I bought a Simplicity 8 hp chipper to help clean up after the storms with the tree damage. Its very powerful and does a fine job. Not sure what your needs are though. It comes with a bag to bag the debris as well. And it will fit in the trailer.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

We have a cheap a$$ MTD and it does fine on green wood up to about 2.5 inches and it has a hopper for smaller clippings. Complete with a bagger I think it was about $400. If you try to put some "weathered", not rotten oak it will really have a tough time, but for clippings as you describe it should work great.