Light Green patches in my bluegrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have several homes on a golf course which are showing light green, fine bladed grass in patches about the yard. The patches seemed to green about the same time as the other surrounding bluegrass which makes me think it is not a warm season type turf. Only thing I can think of is maybe bent grass. Any ideas on what this might be in Northwest IN at this time of year? I am sure Non Selective is the only way to get rid of it, but would still like to know what I am looking at.

Thanks
    Jay

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Poa annua, or possibly bent

3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would venture bentgrass as well. It is starting to invade many of our lawns up north here and many are complaining about how bad it looks against our normal cool season grasses. Was told the chem companies are looking at a way of irradicating it selectively.

Mike

4. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

Sounds like Bent or poa. either way once the heat hits it will be a nonissue provided the bluegrass is a fairly dense stand, and your mowing height is @ 3 inches.
    poa will thin out from the heat, and bentgrass needs to be mowed low and irrigated frequently to survive the heat.

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

A false crown & pointed bluish green leaf is Bent.

Lime green, close to the ground, boat shaped leaf tip & visible seeds is Poa.

Cut it out or RoundUp.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks fellas, I am pretty sure it is bent. I was wondering how it would be after the Bluegrass really starts growing. I am afraid one yard may have too much to reclaim.

Thanks a bunch
    Jay

7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

After as wet as last season was here in Ohio, there is truly an abundance of Poa this spring showing big time. Can't wait for the heat to smack it back a bit!

8. lars

lars LawnSite Member

How about applying Prograss at 1 1/2 oz / 1000 this fall? Anyone agree?

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Prograss works excellent at controlling Poa.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I am assuming references above to Poa are considering Poa annua, or annual bluegrass. You may also have Poa trivialis, rough bluegrass, roughstalk bluegrass, or most commonly called just "poa triv".

Annual blue will often die out in summer, but will survive in shady areas, since it is not a true annual. Poa triv thrives in compacted, wet areas, and will completely overtake desireable blues in such a situation.

Since you are near a golf course, without actually seeing the weed in question, it is most probable that you have bentgrass. It will be there always. Even after a total kill and reseed, it will come back in the future. I have controlled the spread of bent (in a lawn near a golf course), by powerraking with a flail reel early in the spring. Your bent is stoloniferous, and you will tear up much of the new growth from last fall. And since bluegrass starts active growth before bent, your blue gets a chance to fill in before the bent becomes active. The solid patches of bent were Rounduped and replaced. In the seven years I did the spring powerraking in this lawn, no solid patches of bent reformed.

Bent will not vanish during the summer in our area. It will grow up in puffs above the blue, and smother the desireable blues.