1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Light Kit Bulbs

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Barker's Lawn Care, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have had 2 bulbs burn out in my light kit in about 15 hours. I was told that Exmark is trying to improve the design and will soon come up with a solution. Is this true, and any updates???

DEFENDER90 LawnSite Member

i have gone through about 4-5 sets of the bulbs this summer. if you take the bulb out and look at the filament you can see that it has broken. i think and my service tech feels that the bulb is so light weight it can not take the bumps and pounding of the machine when mowing. anyway i have tried some 55watt hd bulbs, replacing the 35 watt, so far that have held up. by the way the 35 watt bulbs and unit has been replaced by my dealer under warranty.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We're looking at several things right now. We've not ruled the bulb's themselves out or anything else at this time. There is however strong evidence that many of the failures are due to installation of the bulb in the housing during the light kit construction process (not by the dealer). We are using a halogen bulb and like all halogen bulbs great caution must be taken to ensure that no contamination is on the outside surface of the bulf. It appears that most of the initial failures are due to oil deposited on the bulb from unprotected hands during the assembly process. This may account for some of the failures of the replacemtn bulbs but probably not all. Like I said we are looking at several things right now and we are not ruling anything out at this time it may be nothing more than how we are installing the bulb.

I'll pass your comments onto our engineering group. This may be the yet another piece to solving the puzzle.

4. Mustang67

Mustang67 LawnSite Member

Hey defender90 where did you get those 55watt hd bulbs at????
  5. JRS

JRS LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Until exmark finds a solution, try leaving the lights on all the time. The bulbs seem to tolerate vibration better when they are on. Have seen dramatically improved life from bulbs by doing this. Be careful with 55watt bulbs, if you have a worn electric clutch that is pulling too much amperage
    your charging system may not like 55watts as well and you'll end up with a drained battery.

this is for mustang67

try www.rallylights.com. the 55watt hd are the same as the 35w that come in the kits only brighter, the only thing your have to do is cut off the flat plug and add a round one like the original. i have these on my lazer xp it has a larger alternator than most lazers so be sure to check with you service tech. i think they were around 8 or 9 dollars apiece.

this is for mustang67

the item number on the bulbs is HL 78134