1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Light/Medium Grade Commercial Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncareSC, May 28, 2004.

1. lawncareSC

lawncareSC LawnSite Member

I am new to the site and have spent a few hours going through the threads for trimmers. I'm very impressed with the sheer volume of good info. Now I have a good idea of what question to ask......

Q: Currently using an old weed eater brand to trim some commercial and farmland. It is a HORRIBLE unit! Always chokes, such weak power. So, I went to my local commercial landscapers supply and they have a great store with a nice, knowledgeable salesperson.

He agrees the Hondas are too heavy. He himself likes the Echo 210 around the house. Says that the debate between Echo and Shidaiwa is like the Ford vs Chevy debate. I think they both must be pretty good.

The store carries Honda, Shindaiwa, Stihl and Echo. So I will buy one of these brands.

I am torn between and Echo SRM210 or 230 and the Shindaiwa T230.

Any suggestions here for someone who needs a light to medium grade trimmer with no headaches?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Shindaiwa is better than Echo. Get the t230. By the way, I have an Echo trimmer.
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The SRM-210 is a well-balanced, lightweight unit that will handle weekly trimming with ease. It is a bit lacking in power for heavier tasks. I've never used an SRM-230, so I can't comment on those, but the engine is not much larger than the 210.

The only Shindaiwa I've used was a BEAT T-230 owned by my former boss, and for all the abuse it endured, it still did alright.

Seems like a lot of folks on Lawnsite seem to rate the Shindaiwa T-230 ahead of the smaller Echo products.

A good part of my decision would be based upon which one was more comfortable to use. If one is a lot lighter and better balanced, I can deal with one or two more pulls to start it.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If not used more than 10 or 15 hours a week the cheap ECHO will last you 3 years . I have worn out 2 of them.
  5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the echo 230 and the shindaiwa t230. Both are excellent units but I like the shindaiwa a bit more. It is more powerful and lighter. The echo 230 is heavier but the cushioned handle is a bit better. For the difference in price, I would stick to the 230 or t230 and avoid the 210 echo.
  6. lawncareSC

lawncareSC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm getting the idea that Shindaiwa's are preferred to Echos, that they are more solidly built. T230 sounds like a winner!
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use Shindaiwa and they are a nice smooth trimmer, but I do admit I like the Stihls A LOT better
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a light duty trimmer get a Kawasaki KBL23A - 9 lbs.

If you want one that will handle most anything, get the KBL26A - 9.9 lbs.

I am replacing my two 23A's with the new 27A's to go along with a 26A we currently have. You can always run them just able idle for normal trimming, but when it comes to long, overgrown ditches, etc., there is nothing like reserve power.

Am I right, or am I right or am I right!?
  9. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

I have a Kawa 26A. I'm actually shocked at the power it has. I'm very pleased with its performance.
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I own both an Echo SRM 210 and I just bought and started using an Echo SRM 230. I loved the 210 I bought three years ago, but this year it is starting to nickel and dime me. It still runs great, but it is starting to require more frequent maintenance. It runs well for everyday trimming and edging but if you get into really thick brush, it can sometimes bog down. So far the SRM 230 has been running great. It is .8 pounds heavier than the 210 and has a slightly larger engine. The reason I went with the 230 instead of another 210 is that I like the way the shaft is connected to the engine more on the 230 than the 210. They are both excellent machines. My friend just bought a Shindaiwa T230 and I have tried it out. It does seem to perform slightly better than my SRM 230 but not enough for me to switch brands. I hope this helps a little.