light mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mak2, Nov 28, 2005.

1. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed a property this year that has a couple of sloped areas that are so steep I have trouble standing on them. It is too large for a trimmer and I did it this year with a residential 21" lawnboy. I could stand at the top of the slope and mow 90% of the area with one hand while keeping my balance with the other. The 21" is faster than a trimmer, but a real heavy mower will not work, unless I workout a lot. Also my residental mower is a 91 model and is dang near wore out, I used it a lot this year. Anyway, she just renewed for next year. My question is, I am buying a better WB this winter. I dont think a large WB will work. I saw a pro Lawn Boy but it seems much heavier than my residental. any suggestions?

2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Murray 20" baby. :) It depends on how much you want to spend for just this hill. You might could get a very small walk-behind which could hurt you on your other yards if it's going to be your main mower. There's also these mowers I've seen (not sure who makes them) that have a base that stays vertical on two wheels and the deck conforms to the hill. Someone else can help me out. You could get another residential mower just for this hill, or you could just get a Murray 20". :p

3. mak2

You know, I was trying to think of some fancy mower that I could use other places but a very cheap low hp mower would probably work for just this area for several years. That is why I like this site. Thanks.

4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Murray just for this reason. They're made for about 50 hours of use. You can get more out of it if you take fair care of it though. I use it for those steep hills where a trimmer is too small and too time consuming and where the big mower won't go. Good, reliable, and CHEAP addition.

5. mak2

Fubba you da man thanks again

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ide go with the coolest most expensive thing you can find, the you can use it to show off to all your friends, JK!!lol :p , i agree with the murray idea though, cheap and reliable for awhile, then get another one!! Good luck!!:waving:

7. mak2

the yugo of lawnmowers. but I do think the murray will do exactly what I want and I will still make money on it even if it only last 2 years.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would suggest another lawnboy but they are extinct thanks to the epa!

9. mak2

had 14+ years on my last one, it still runs but sounds really bad, a deep rumble like rod noise or something. if I could get a real replacement it woudl be a no brainer,

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I have or had a few hills like that, and use a hover mower. mine is a Husqvarna Model: HVT52 Weight is around 30 Lbs I think, great to stand at the top of a hill, and let it down with a rope, and just walk side to side.

[​IMG]