1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

light mulching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lsu03, Apr 12, 2007.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how do you guys charge if the customer just wants to basically cover up the old mulch?
  2. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

i dont mess with it. I only do jobs that will look professional when I am done and I explain this to my customers. I dont do half a$$ jobs. Can be rude if taken wrong but most customers understand and agree.
  3. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

so what do you do, take out the old mulch?
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I never take out the old mulch. One reason we use mulch is so it will decompose and release nutrients into the soil.

Figure up how deep you will be spreading, convert your sq. ft. with that depth into cubic yards, and bill accordingly.:)
  5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

If there is alot of mulch still in the beds, just use a dye to restore the color.
  6. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

by saying the basically cover up old mulch term i thought you ment putting on a crap layer of mulch to darken up the beds. Sorry I jumped to a conclusion.. I guess because I have been asked that quite a few times this season. No I never take out old mulch just mulch on top of what is there with a 2-3 inch layer of new mulch. Thicker if the customer requests.
  7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Charge more than your standard per yard rate. It takes longer to spread it thin.
    As stated above, a dye may be something to look into; I have not used it, but have run into several occasions that, if it works well, would really make life easier.
    A lot of places have mulch overflowing into the driveway, over edging, etc. The top layer is in good shape, it's just sunshine shot.

Also, at least put a general location or USDA zone in your profile. It helps people help you without asking extra questions.