Light Requirements for Pansies

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 10, 2003.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've always understood that Pansies will not do well in the shade, but I'm beginning to think I may be wrong with this assumption. I noticed several landscapes today that had pansies planted in 100% shade. The pansies looked good, but I'm wondering if maybe they were just recently planted and haven't had time to start looking bad yet.

Anyone know about planting pansies in the shade?

Thanks.
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yeah, its best to plant them in sunlight. They don't do well in shade (if they even survive). Where in DFW are you?

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Pansies can take a wide variety of conditions. From full sun to filtered sun, and yes some can tolerate shade. They have new varieties out each year that can take different conditions.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Is there any way to tell when you buy them if they'll tolerate shade?

+++Where in DFW are you?++++

I'm in Loserville.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Just ask the nursery or garden center if they have any new varieties out that can handle some shade. I went to the NC trail gardens At NC State the other day and they had a few beds of pansies out and some actually died in the sun from lack of shade perhaps. Water was not the issue i know beacause all beds are on a timed irrigation and other beds are set up like the homeowner would set it up with no water, no nutrients.

6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I have found they will take some shade pretty well, but bloom better in sun. What you can take into consideration is that some areas that may be full shade in Oct when planted, will be mostly sun once the leaves fall.

Bryan

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Excellent point there. That point is overlooked the most.