1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

light string trimmer recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ziob, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

been running kawasaki trimmers for a while kgt27a very light and powerful. Just wondering what you guys would recommend for a light straight shaft trimmer if i decide to switch...don't like stihl to heavy and clunky.

friends have said they like the husqvarna...skeptical cuz its at the big box stores now.

2. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin swears by husqvarna trimmers, he's a superintendent at a local golf club here and says they probably put 10 hrs easily a week on them running WOT, they last him a solid 5 yrs! I'd say that's pretty good for the work he puts then through

3. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

husqvarna 323 best trimmer I've used.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have a Husky 223L. It is the lightest trimmer out, and has plenty of power for any normal trimming. Starts easily, and has been awesome so far (1 year now), with zero troubles. They sell for $259. For $299 you can get a 323L that has a bit more HP from the same engine, and has a solid shaft, but otherwise identical in every way-even the weight. I won my 223 in a drawing or I'd have the 323L.

5. Oakleypropertymanagement

Oakleypropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Husky 326ls trimmers!! Very light compared to the competition and more powerful. They trim well in all conditions and what I tend to like about husqvarna trimmers is how quite they are. Pretty fuel efficient also. We run 2-3 every day and no issues with any of them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Huskqvarna for lightweight trimmers. Why are you switching from Kaw? I'd like to try the Kawasaki trimmers, but no dealer support here (St Louis Mo.) my dealer was talking about picking them up.

For clearing work nothing beats a Stihl Fs250. Last of the true 2-stroke hot rods. Not a lightweight though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I bet the FS 250 is a BEAST!!

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The Stihl rep told us at the local open house a few days ago, that they are dropping the FS250 at the end of this year. Get one while you can.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Are FS-250Rs still ~$500?

10. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

not a lot of dealer support here either for kawi.......might just pick up the 323L been hearing nothing but good things about it. I'll still run the kawasaki but its a pain for parts when i need them.... i agree i use the stihl for clearing brush they are just to heavy for every day string trimming.