light string trimmer recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ziob, Mar 14, 2013.

1. gibbonsballer10

gibbonsballer10 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't go wrong with the Husqvarna 223L. Light, cheap, powerful, and reliable. Used one all last year, no problems or anything, and very very light, probably the best power-weight ratio on the market.

2. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

shindaiwa t242 is my favorite light weight trimmer

3. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely.

4. grassguy03

grassguy03 LawnSite Member

I've got the husqvarna 223 and it's great and only 9 lbs. The t35 head is also super easy to load.

5. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS100RX super light and has plenty of power.

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

another vote for the husky 323 or 326. pretty much identical save for a skid plate and different cowling. 223 is very similar, just has a cable drive so you might feel a bit more vibration. another minor but very nice thing about the huskys is the auto-return stop switch. you don't look like an idiot pulling the trimmer for 5 min wondering why it won't start because you forgot to put the switch to ''on''. you know you've done that before.

7. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought the FS100rx was only a "lightweight" in Stihl's marketing propaganda, or in comparison to their other Cinder block style trimmers. Husky, Redmax and Dolmar-Makita are a notably lighter.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It's a little heavier than the husky (we have both) but the weight distrubution favors the rear so it's almost as nice to use. They are much more powerful than the 223, 323, and 326. We also have a red max 3000 or 3100 series trimmer which is 2 steps up in power from the tr2350 and the fs100rx will walk all over it (we remove the guards and run longer string).

I love the 326's but the stihls seem to last a lot longer and the power is great. Our fs250 and fs130 are rarely used.

9. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

I bought a Stihl FS-70RC for my Grandpa to use when he helps me. Its a powerful unit and very light weight(9lbs or less), he has ran it hard for 2 years and it has held up to the wear and abuse. That would be a great trimmer to check out.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The Stihl FS70 is 10.6 lbs according to their site and it has a flex cable shaft. the Husky 323 or 326 is the same power in a lighter unit (9lbs), and they have solid shafts.

From Stihl's site-
    FS 70 R
    27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.) 0.9 kW (1.2 bhp) 4.8 kg (10.6 lbs.) 340 cc (11.5 oz.)