Light truck tires on trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jerry and Sons, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Just curious who is running light truck tires on there tandem axle trailers. my guys have been smoking through tires very quickly. Brakes have been checked and adjusted properly and bearings are good. spindles good. I have done a search on the subject but have not had any luck. Would appreciate your input.

2. FANS

FANS LawnSite Member

on your usage from what I understand. I thought the Special Trailer rating on trailer tires was to allow them to hold their shape if they were parked for long periods of time. If you're pulling the trailer everyday (more than parked) and the load rating is correct I don't see it would be a problem. Just make sure it's allowed by PENNDOT.

3. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

Might want to try checking the air presure in the tires to see if that helps. Just an Idea.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

LT's will be just fine...As long as you exceed the weight rating of the ones your replacing.

Most of your larger Travel Trailers come with LT tires. Trailer tires don't always come in the correct size/weight rating.

Your running tandem trailers then I guess, right?

The scuffing/scrubbing when turning and backing is what wears them.

Have you measured to see if your axles are aligned correctly?

6. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

ditto that.. there not too much price difference .. actually cheaper and the trailer will ride better as well.

7. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the height of the hitch and all. If the trailer is too low in the front, the front wears real fast. If it's too high then the front wears, but the rears wear faster. Other than that, less charp turns, less backing up, lighter loads etc...

8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know in Maine if the tires don't say for trailer use they are illegal to use. you can't even use Mobile home tires supposedly they are intended for short term use...

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stick with trailer tires because, well they are intended for trailers. Get a good set on there and you should be fine. I would not put LT tires on a trailer as they are not meant for that. Good trailer tires should not burn out quickly.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/

Wrangler HT's are what my Fathers Holiday Rambler 36' TT came with from the factory. They are a LT tire listed in the Trailer tire section of Goodyears website.