1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LIGHTER Exmark TT hand tension!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jul 28, 2006.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Want to make the grips on your Turf Tracer MUCH lighter? Do what I did, my mower has been set up like this for over a year now.

If you are climbing good size hills, it may not work for you. But on fairly flat ground, it works GREAT.

I just added an 'S' link to it, available at hardware stores. Here's a pic of it:

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Would you think this would work on my Exmark Metro?
  3. naturescape

It may. It would cost you about 30 cents and 10 minutes to find out! :)
  4. naturescape

I sure am surprised there aren't more comments about this set up!
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I am too.

So...it's makes it easier on the hands, but at what cost? What are you sacrificing? Does it not have the full turning potential? Full power in reverse? What am I missing?
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That is inventive for sure. Are you giving up traction or belt pressure on the pulleys? You know what would really be cool, a turnbuckle type setup like the overcenter adjustment on my Bob-Cat blade belt.
    I meant to post this also. I don't know how others are setup but, my Bob-Cats are fully adjustable. I've loosened them up without sacrificing belt tension on the pulleys.
  7. naturescape

MUCH easier on the hands and seemingly at no cost, as I've run it like this for over a year. I have went back and took the s hooks out, but have seen no difference. BUT, if your mowing large hills, you'd probably need the extra pull. It handles the smaller hills here in MI with no problem. If it is VERY cold out, like 30s, it is not as smooth turning with this setup until it's warmed up for some reason, but it's usually fine in a few minutes.
  8. naturescape

A turnbuckle setup would be sweet! With very minute adjustments possible. The simple s hook does it for me in this case tho.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe you should have kept that secret on the down low. Could have sold that idea to Exmark.;) Simple fix, you think their engineers would have thought of that one.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

If its a hydro[which it is] I dont think your losing anything. That spring is just to return the handles to forward after you squeez them. Good innovation. If exmark knew about it it would be a $250 add on, lol.