Lighthearted mowing accident... funny but not...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I went to see a friend of mine today to talk a little bit and try to catch back up to speed on the log finishing products available today. It's been almost 10 years now since I sold out, which included my construction company, so I have fell behind... and I have a cabin I need to re-do and also protect the logs from carpenter bees before they do any more damage to my property.

So anyways, when I get there I notice his mower just sitting in the driveway. He's on the poarch swing nursing down a cold one. After some talk we headed out across his lawn as I was leaving. Then he says to me... I want you to look here...

He reaches down and picks up this ham-steak looking bone... you know, the round ones about 2" - 2 1/2" across with the hole in the middle. For a second there I was at a loss. Then he says now I want you to look up here....

He points to a second story window way up on his cabin. Looks like someone put a baseball through it.

His dogs had carried a couple of those from somewhere into the yard. He has a hybrid bermuda lawn that he keeps mowed pretty darn tight. He hit one of those bones on that first pass across the front of the lawn and his mower shot that thing all the way across the lawn, way-way up in the air, through that window, across that upstairs room and through the wall across from the window.

I've seen some stuff in my day, but I have never seen anything launched out of a mower deck like that.

It makes you think how simple it is to cause serious injury or serious bodily harm while mowing side discharge. Even for something as simple as a dog carrying in a bone. Something like that could even go clear through an exterior wall on one of these new development homes with vinyl siding.

Be safe out there.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A buddy was telling me about a time he was mowing a truck stop. He hit some type of gear that looks like a top. I spun like one all the way across the parking lot and into the lube center. He said it sounded like one of those fireworks that you sit on the ground and it screams across a hard surface.

3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I hit/ran over a doggy toy two years ago and sent it clean across a good 75 yard common area lot...and it hit a paperbox (one of the ones that hang under a mailbox) and it knocked it clean off

4. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I bounced a golf ball of the house across the street, luckily it was a brick house.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I did this once too. i hit a golfball and it hit the neighbors house and came back and hit me in the side. and it still hurt.
    Another time i was useing a 21" mower and was throwing grass out the back. I hit a superball. Man, that thing hit me in the lag and down i went. Brung tears to my eyes. Reminded me of an old war movie where the guy gets his leg shot out from under him.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Lacrosse balls fly pretty good, too! Never did see where that thing went, but man it flew clear past the neighbors house!!

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

One of the guys working at TGLC was mowing grass, chute up and did not walk the area prior to cutting . He hit a piece of metal about 6" long and ended up impaling one of is laborers in the groin.

the guy had to have one of his testes removed at the hospital.

I was a safety manager, it was pretty weird having to take a picture of a guys scrot. But we had many broken windows.. and at business' the windows usually top the $1K mark

Gotta keep those chutes down or know the area you are cutting.

8. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

launched a golf ball through a sliding glass window at a condo we used to do. Three hundred and sixty dollars later.......:cry:

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

his is one good reason for the MEG MO blades. With the knives being Free swinging on the disc we will not throw things so far.

10. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I took out the rear window of a Ford Expedition today launched a pine cone or stick. Cost me $ 364.45. Not a good day today!