Lighting big tree canopys

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by ilc79, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

If you were lighting under a 15-18" caliper oak or maple tree with a big canopy would you use a par 36 well light or bullets and how many and what watt bulbs would you use? And I have noticed most people here in ga. use a 20 watt mr16 on most trees that are 4-6" caliper with 2 lights, what do you reccomend?

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Really hard to just jump in here and answer your question with specifics... A photo would help greatly.

There are so many variables at play it is pretty hard to just set down some 'rules' here. A lot will depend on ground conditions, canopy density, branch structure, sight lines, ambient light, etc etc.

Can you provide a photo?

Lots of experience here with large trees... but around these parts we call trees large when they are 3+ Feet in dia. and 60-80-100+ feet high. :)

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

In my experience with large oaks there is nothing better than a WFL par36 20 or 35w lamp to do the job. Depending on the size of the tree it could take 3,4 even 5 lamps to light it properly. Now whether you use a Well Light or an above gorund light is up to you and the terrain. I love well lights for this type of lighting as long as you and the customer are commited to maintenance.

I also really like the combination of tree/down lights in conjunction with uplights in large multi trunk trees.

4. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

Joey thanks I have done a few jobs and Jhy with unique in florida has helped me with some jobs but have never done any really large trees before thanks for the reply.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

just be careful with the trenching!!!!! i've seen a few of these beauties killed by uplights. trench in and not across!