Lighting Fixture and Bulb Brand?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TigerElectrical, Sep 21, 2013.

1. TigerElectrical

TigerElectrical LawnSite Member

I'm an electrical contractor in N Illinois. I'm taking over a one-year old installation that has some issues like 20% of the LED bulbs burned out. I am attempting to match existing fixtures and bulbs and can't find the manufacturer listed on the fixture or bulb.

photo-18.JPG

LED 1.JPG

LED 2.JPG

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Based on the picture I am thinking this: https://www.yardbright.com/product/premium-bronze-spot-light

Couldn't tell you anything about the quality though. Obviously, if the LED are blown after one year there are some quality issues. You may want to consider getting your lamps from a different source. Brilliance makes some good bi-pin LED's. Not sure if Illumicare makes a corn cob LED that small.

3. TigerElectrical

Apologies for the early morning error. That bulb goes in the rectangular floods. The bulbs for that fixture :

LED 3.JPG

LED 4.JPG

4. Lite4

Ok, I would suggest getting your MR16's from Illumicare, Brilliance or Volt. I have used them all and they perform very well.

5. Lite4

6. TigerElectrical

Thanks Tim. Any idea who makes the fixture or where that info might be on the fixture?

7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

As I was scrolling down this thread, I was thinking the Illumicare sidepin for the floods, and then I notice that is what Tim suggested.

I would suggest you get your client to approve changing all the LED lamps to a quality brand. If you mix new with the old, lesser-quality LEDs you will probably have mismatched colors. Further, does your client want to pay you again and again for service calls when the other original LEDs fail.

I am curious about what else you found deficient in this installation.
    Transformer? Connections? Artistic design?

8. Lite4

No, it looks like it's just a chinese made fixture that is imported and repackaged. It's a solid, heavy brass fixture though. I would be more concerned with getting quality LED's like Phil said. The fixture is just a lamp holder anyway (just about any brass one will do the job if it's relatively well sealed)- having a quality made LED will ensure good, consistent light color and output along with some much expected longevity.

9. TigerElectrical

I have this scheduled in about 10 days and will check the transformer. The guy that referred me to this site suggested that some of the wiring could be on a tap over 12 volts which might cause the early bulb failure. I'll run a total bulb change by the client.

So, is it not possible to match this fixture?

10. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Tiger,

I wasn't suggesting that higher voltage from the transformer caused the LEDs to fail. Most LEDs operate with an input in the range of 10-15 volts. The driver in the lamp converts the voltage. I was only wondering about the quality or brand of the transformer in comparison to the low-quality (assumpiton) of the LED lamps.

Google brass low voltage fixtures and see what comparable fixture you find.
    The Yardbright site was already suggested for a lower cost fixture.