lighting flagpole

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by roady, Aug 21, 2006.

1. roady

roady LawnSite Member

Hey guys, first let me introduce myself. My name is Mike and live in Md and I am new to your forums. I have done a bunch of reading on the site and there is a bunch of useful info on here. My question is I have a 30' flagpole in my yard and want to light it up. I did a search and only found one thread on this. I need to know what type of fixture to use and if I should use low voltage or line voltage. I am a journeyman electrician so I can handle it either way. I think I would prefer inground type but not set on it quite yet. I think something above ground would be easier to set up and align. I would apreciate any info that you all can provide, thanks.

Mike

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Mike welcome to the site. Your right TONS of good info on here. Alot of these guys have alot more info than I do.

Whats the area around the flag pole like ? turf ? planting beds ??? concrete ?

a 35 to 50 watt low voltage well light (3 of them) in a triangulated pattern will light up a flag nice. If your in planting beds or mulched area or an area with lots of leaves and pinestraw you would want to use an above grade fixture. If its a lawn area you would be best off with an in ground well light.

I might be mistaken.. is a 30 ft pole standard size ? if its shorter than normal you may be able to adjust the wattage.

3. roady

roady LawnSite Member

Billy, right now it is grass around the pole other then about a 2' square base but I plan on next year in the spring putting some type of landscaping bed around it. The pole is 30' not standard but I live on a 10 acre site and about 700' from road and didnt want the pole to look small from road. Can you recommend a type of fixture and where to get as well as how far away from pole the fixture needs to be. Thanks fo rthe help

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Roady, welcome to the forum. How big is the flag that you will be flying? This will help in determining the lamp needed. Looking at a photometric chart will tell how many foot candles you will have at a certain distance as well as the width of beam spread.

5. roady

roady LawnSite Member

Paul, it is a 4'x6' flag. I will try to look at the chart and figure it out. Thanks

6. NightScenes

For that size flag, I would use 3-35 watt narrow flood (24 degrees), MR16 lamps, in a well light. As Billy said, triangulate these fixtures at 3' from the flag pole. This will center the beam on the flag when it is at full extension and should be well illuminated.

7. roady

roady LawnSite Member

What brand fixtures should I try and get and the best place to get them ? I will also need the transformer.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Cast... focus... hadco...kichler all make nice products.. Try your local irrigation supply house or if you got a john deere landscapes near you. There are serveral good dist online as well... Just depends if you got a contractors license or not

If you go to outdoorlightingdirect.com and click cast then fixtures or go here http://outdoorlightingdirect.com/cast3.htm you can see the cast mr 16 well light.

9. NightScenes

For a well light, I lean towards the Vista 5270. Try your local irrigation supply for quality landscape lighting materials. I use mostly Kichler, but if I see a better fixture for a particular application I will use it.

10. roady

roady LawnSite Member

Billy and Paul, Thanks for the helpful hints and the replies. I found a irrigation place called Aquarius in Millersville Md that so far seem to be helpful. They are also having a one day seminar in Sept for 149.00 and I was thinking about taking the class. I found the seminar through the Cast website which also led me to Aquarus. Is the seminar worth taking ? I wouldnt mind trying to do some of this work but on a small scale until I learn it better. I dont think there are many around me doing this type of work. Thanks again for your help.