Lighting for trees

Discussion in 'Frog Lights' started by LB Landscaping, May 23, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've got a customer that is interested in some lighting for 15 trees (possibly other areas to). 13 trees are small fruit trees around 8 ft high, one large fruit tree around 18 ft high and one very large maple. Any suggestions??? What is involved in the installation?

2. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

Please advise how far away from the house is the furthest tree. Is there a source for electricity for powering the transformer? Could you forward a layout of how the trees are located. I will be pleased to advise how to do this. It is very simple.
    Noel

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Furthest tree is approx 200ft from house, I'll try to get a sketch of the layout together. The is an outlet in the garage would it be ok for power???

4. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

The trees will look beautiful at night ! Please keep one consideration in mind, the distance is quite long. Please refer to my website for reference www.frog-lights.com. Use a spot like my SH-1 for the smaller trees with a 20 Watt bulb and 2 pieces of W-6 well light for the large maple with 18 to 25 watt bulbs. The spots should be placed 8-10 inches from the trunk and focus it to wash the truck up the tree.
    Consider then you have 14 lights at 20 watts or 280 and another 50 for the two well lights at total of 330 watts. You will need a 600 watt transformer like my model Frog Power 600. This transformer is high quality with dual 15 volt taps and remote low impedance photo eye. It will turn on automatically at dusk and shut off as set by the client after dark. Please divide the lights into two circuits one with the maple 50 w along with 6 othe trees and the balance on the other circuit. Be sure that your operating voltage at the lamps does not fall below 10.5 volts.
    The problem is the voltage drop along the run. You can calulate this using Ohms law E=IR. To assist I suggest you use 8 guage wire and you will not have a problem according to my calculations.
    Frog Lights, LLC is offering special prices to Lawn site members. 20 % off my web contractor wholesale prices and free shipping except for wire and transformers. We have great stuff and super prices !
    I have attached a picture showing how to connect the lights using a "spider" connection. Please contact me if I can help you in any way, it would be our pleasure.

Attached Files: