lighting gods, a few ideas please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by BrandonV, Feb 10, 2009.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we're refurbishing the landscape at this home and have already sold and planned out the plants/lighting for the front and the homeowner today asked me to maybe throw in some light for their new arbor here on the deck. I mentioned the possibility of putting in a new chandelier but they may keep this one as it works on candle power. would like the light the columns and also the area (candles are great but not that great.) Now if I was to do upights on the columns is there a tiny flush-mounted fixture that someone can recommend? Or better yet (I think) is to use downlight, I'm thinking very small 20W or less. Ideas gentlemen?

lighting1.jpg

lighting2.jpg

lighting3.jpg

lighting4.jpg

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Downlight grazing of each column could look nice with the fixtures positioned on the inside of the tenting. You could have Nightscaping Artisan fixtures powdercoated white to blend in. If you would like a fixed mount fixture, the Nightscaping Guardian in White is a very small format fixture that could work for this task as well. There might be some issues with wiring... it is hard to tell what the tent frame structure is. Can you hide all the wires?

Alternatively you could core mount some small dia. uplights into the deck (remember to use glare louvers). The columns would still be grazed with light and it would continue up into the tent creating some interesting effects when viewed from 'outside'.

No matter what you do in this area, I would have the lights on a separate switch/transformer allowing the client the option of having them on or not.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah defiantly on a switch, the columns are hollow, I can come up though the deck below.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Downlight, downlight, downlight!

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yep... downlight over each pillar. Should provide enought ambient light inside. Kichler also makes a low voltage chandilier which would be an excellent replacement for that.

I would opt for the unique probe osm in this senario too

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for the downlight as well. The thing about up lighting is that the chances of decking support would keep you from getting the lights lined up. If that makes any sense.

Now, would light every side of the post of each post?

7. Pro-Scapes

I would only light the inside and out but thats just me. I would also see if we could place something interesting near the base of the pillars such as small palms or other plant material.

Some issues with uplighting this...Trip hazzard...Glare when someone walks past... possible covering of the light with decor...That frame inside isnt particularly interesting to me or something I would deem as worthy of attention. If you need light across the ceiling I would cross light it from the tops of the pillars where you can hide the fixtures in addition to the downlighting vs uplighting it.

example of the downlit pillars and ambient light it created. The camera lies. There are not hotspots. 20w 36 deg frosted lens with hex louvers.

IMGP2228shrunk.jpg

8. nccutter

nccutter LawnSite Member

Where did you (or they) get the columns, frame and cover? I love that.

9. Pro-Scapes

you can special order em at home depot or lowes. The top area was built with standard 2x lumber. I didnt build this one but have done so in the past. There was a previous lighting system which was a complete failure from its concept.

The original lighting of this had 2 downlights mounted between the 2 outer pillars on each side facing about 60 degrees outward. Armed with 50w lamps (like the rest of the system) and operating at around 6v. You can see the original mounting locations in the unpainted area between the 2 right side pillars. The 2 lights were replaced with 16 lights.

5 on the structure over each pillar
    5 on the ligustrum trees directly behind the structure
    6 placed on the ground creating the background in the taller trees.

There are over 100 other fixtures at this location as well.

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Very nice example Billy, That was beautifully done.