Lighting Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Eden Lights, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I am looking for some ideas. Take a look at the pictures, you can also see my original plan from way back when. Some things have changed, no beam right in front of hearth for up and downlighting and they didn't like the chandeliers. Beams are all 8"X16". I have four 12's up the center of the posts at two locations with 1.5" wire-ways milled through the centers of the posts. I have conduits going from below grade to the center of the posts.

Here is the kicker guys, Everybody involved would like to see recessed fixtures in the beams. I have already told them that we would be trying some type of mini-floods up and down lighting the fireplace from the first beam, but I would research the recessed possibilities. As always if I use your idea and or fixture I will send you some cash? $100.00

DSC_1403.jpg

DSC_1401.jpg

DSC_1406.jpg

DSC_1408.jpg

DSC_1409.jpg

2. Eden Lights

More Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC_1418.jpg

DSC_1414.jpg

DSC_14130001.jpg

DSC_14110001.jpg

3. PeteScalvo

PeteScalvo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

down lights over and in front of each corner post with frosted lenses. two spots to graze the fireplace below the mantle and 2 to graze above the mantle. 4 more to uplight and downlight the sides of the fireplace. Those 12" beams make it easy to hide fixtures. and 1 spot directly over the table. shouldn't need more than 20 watters If you have a budget then get 2 or 3 underwaters in that pond 35 watters each preferably

4. Eden Lights

Pics of past work

DSC_1421.jpg

DSC_1420.jpg

DSC_14220001.jpg

DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_1424.jpg

5. Eden Lights

The Plan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Large Pergola.jpg

6. PeteScalvo

from Georgia

your gonna need mostly directionals on this one.

7. PeteScalvo

from Georgia

just wondering why you light straight down on everything. I find it more interesting to hit em from different unusual angles avoiding glare of course

8. Eden Lights

Must be recessed any ideas on fixtures?

No uplights ingrade due to glare issues. No beams can be added to graze the fireplace, must be done from current beam. See pic #1413

Side of the chimney are a go, six down lights for furniture thats being made. (Must be recessed remember) I already have Pentair Leds in the SPA.

Thanks

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Eddie, I know you have more ideas about this kind of project than I do, so I'll just throw out a general idea "thinking out loud".
    Could you core drill holes for recessed lighting (not all the way through the beams) and somehow create a mechanisiim to fix the luminares in place? A small hole the rest of the way to come out on the top, and make all your connections out of sight?
    For the fire-place, have you looked at the top of it? Most of these fire pits have big voids right down the middle. You could easily uplight (from the mantle, recessed into the mantle) to up/down light the chimney area.. Again, thinking out loud in the moment. I'll reply again when I have a revelation. You are the man when it comes to this kind of retro fitting stuff, so I won't push much. Mucho Respecto Amigo!

10. PeteScalvo

from Georgia

The uplights would be attached above the beams. I'd be afraid of installing anything inset in the wood beams. Too much potential for scorching of wood or problems if a short occurs inside the beam with the thin fixture wire. maybe someone might drive a nail though it who knows later on