Lighting ind-asstry

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by nlminc, May 15, 2006.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Sorry, But on Friday one of my long time customers was having some Malibu Lighting :nono: installed by an "electrician". Someone also pulled up in front of his house a couple of weeks ago and sold him 3 "left over" frog lights for $24.95 so they were being hooked up at the same time.
    I asked the gentleman if he was an electrician because he was installing an outlet in the courtyard. Just as he started to tell me he wasn't but his friend was(working under his lic. I guess) he got bit from a little of exposed voltage from the wires he was messing with! :rolleyes:

Dug up a Unique system today. ALL of the connections where done with electrical tape only. Man o' man............

2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Wow
    Thats both funny and sad at the same time.

3. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

sounds like what's going on at alot of residences around the USA. Perhaps Canada too.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah i have seen malibus and similar brands taped up.... wires unburied til its 12 inches away from fixture....regular old wirenuts buried. Wires strung thru the air from a house to a tree (then bent nails holding a malibu stake to the tree trunk). Wires tucked in the cracks of decks then stapled up the post to the deck light.

one of my favorites is...Conduit anchored to cement steps with junction boxes then threaded black pipes as risers to plastic pagoda lights. The homeowner told me someone used low voltage fixtures but wired them to 120v. They said it has never worked. Im doing an installation next door to them this week and if they like what they see they are sold. These are the reasons they are going to start cracking down on licensing.