1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lighting nightmare!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMAC, Nov 27, 2003.

1. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

I had a rough day today dealing with a rude cust. Day 1 - I gave her an estimate and she accepted. Day 2 -We hung about 550 ft. of holiday lighting & made the house look real sharp but ran into some obstacles. The cust. insisted on buying her own lights,clips,timers,ect. and left them on the front porch, but she forgot extension cords. we went to the store and picked them up and ran the cords to available outlets, but her timers would'nt fit and some outlets to be used were in her locked garage(no big deal I'll give her a call on her cell.) well, that is when it hit the fan. she started started raising her voice and cutting me off mid sentence saying that she had never dealt with a complex situation over lighting! and said she was very upset, so I calmed her down and she then asked if I would add more lights to the house. I said sure, but we have already used all of the outside outlets and there would be an extra charge,(she accepted). We finished up, except for the timers on the outside and the plug ins in the garage which left 3/4 of the house not lighted,(so I called her back and explained that we would be back the following day to complete the job when we can get in to the garage, and she accepted). We came back the following day (Today) and it started all over again! more added work and complaining! I could'nt take it any more and told her that I have a tight sched. and she should call someone else for the extra work and that I would like to get paid for the work that was completed, well she did'nt want to pay! Well my story is getting long so I'll shorten it a bit. I got paid after a talk with her husband (which I feel sorry for, living with her).
    I just had to vent, thanks for listening. Lighting-sucks!
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Dang. Thank God you got paid!

Every once in a while you run into a client like this. And I didn't understand until recently but a lot of the time when this kind of behavior happens it's because the customer is alchoholic. Not always. It's just more often than I realized. We've had a few like that this year and it took me a while to realize why they were so strange, irritable, etc. Then you begin seing the signs (dozens of wine bottles in their recycling bin, stop by in the late afternoon and catch them drunk, happen to look into their open garage and see cases of whisky - all examples I've seen recently) and then everything makes sense.

Regardless, get paid and RUN from people like that.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Merry Christmas.
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHAHAHA! LMAO. Was gonna wish ya a Merry CRANKY Christmas too!

I wonder what kind of situation the guy that wrote "Grandma Got run over by Reindeer" was in eh?:laugh:
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to use this as a rule for the future. they buy their products from us. We only install what we sell. This way if something is faulty then we are not to blame. Check your Insurance about installing products the customer owns or buys to see if they are covered under your policy. This is also the reason we have to warehouse the lighting for each customer. It ensures that nothing has been altered or tampered with.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I believe this is very sound advice!!!
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like my Mum going off at my step Dad. :angry: I dont know how he stands it. He just cannot do anything right. Come to think of it, he is her second husband. hmmmmmm
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

sound advice agreed
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope the money is good for setting up lighting, people can be really picky around the holidays. I agree with J. Hisch to only use your lighting, I assume there is more profit that way too. Good luck!