Lighting no no

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by GreenerGrass9, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I didnt say nightscaping did I. I am not sure how they screwed a 50a fuse in. If I am mistaken as you say then the 50A on the fustat must have have been a typographical error.

I never said it wasnt installer error we are talking about lighting NO NO's not product prefferences or secondary protection.

I agree fuses do provide a good protection, This is why I use an inline fuse for any structurally mounted fixtures with the lowest possible rating.. However in our climate I find more fuse sockets rusted or rotted out than I do working ones. I am quite sure there are at least 1000 perfectly good working power centers in my area.

On the magnetic breakers. If you overload it once again it is installer error just like installing a fuse that is too large.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Believe it or not there are other brands of "Fustat" out there besides Buss. I have run across a 20A and a 30A that homeowners have used in place of 25A (never a 50).

The 30A was either yellow or orange... I asked Bill about it and he said no problem. He said the Powercenters were overbuilt and purposely underrated to 25A. Obviously the 20A would limit the use oof the circuit.

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Spade Fuses are the best for secondary protection!!!

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ah, yes, fustats. who doesn't have at least a few in the tool box or bag? why is it I have replaced hundreds of fustats but i rarely ( once yearly? once every 2 years? ) reset a built in breaker on a trans?

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

None the less David. In many overload situations, the fuse is going to protect your system whereas the magnetic breaker will not even notice the situation.

Not a lot of people understand that the S series Fustat is actually a diagonstic tool. Depending on how it 'blows' it will tell you if you have a short or an overload on the circuit. A breaker does not do that for you.

6. MAGLIGHTING

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, I am not suggesting that the magnetic breaker is inferior or unsafe or unapproved etc etc. My point on the fustats is that they do still offer some functionality that can be beneficial. (The magnetic breaker still requires more time to sense and trip in situations of circuit overload than a fuse does... this is one reason that in-line fusing is recommended by many for all building and structure mounted circuits.)

It might be a bit of a dinosaur, but it is not completely obsolete either.

Regards.

8. MAGLIGHTING

The magnetic breaker still requires more time to sense and trip in situations of circuit overload than a fuse does...

This may be true in certain situations depending upon cable gauge size and distance the short occurs from the transformer. Most 25 amp magnetic breakers are rated to 32 amps. Even at 32 amps the cable will not get hot enough to melt or cause a fire.

For me However the fustat has proven to be too unreliable and too much of a problem over the years . I just can't justify charging a client $90 to come out to unscrew and replace a fustat that blew for no apparent reason (old age, voltage spike etc.) and it ends up costing me time and money as I must eat it. With the volume of work I do there is no way I could continue to use this relic in my business. Otherwise I'd be buried in call backs for no good reason. It's just a smart business decision I made plain and simple. Since getting that object out of my life my call backs for circuit shutdowns for no reason have been reduced to zero.:dancing:

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

The fuse does have its time and place. ANYTIME I run cable in/on or into a dwelling it gets an inline blade type fuse with the fuse set to the next highest level. On this last job I had a 12ga wire drawing 7a. I installed a 10a blade type fuse knowing that the slightest problem with the wiring will blow it and cause for a service call in which I can make sure all is well and make any needed repairs. This is needed because I am not able to be on every project weekly to make sure someone else doesnt mess up things.

It gives me some peace of mind knowing I protected my clients. Ground mounted circuits are left to be protected by the Magnetics.

10. MAGLIGHTING

Why no Fustat? :cry: