Lighting on skids?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TonyG, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

Have any of you found the lighting on skids to be less than adequate up front? I see on the Bobcats they do not have auxiliary lights out back. Secondly, has anyone changed there bulbs to HID (xenon) style?
  2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Bobcat has small backup lights. I imagine it would be easy to rig larger ones if needed using an auxillary tractor light mounted in a safe location.

Have not changed the bulbs yet.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've worked many a late night with the 277B we had on an orchard removal job. The lights from Cat, when aimed properly, are great. They provide more than enough light for just about every situation.
  4. spydahead

spydahead LawnSite Member

the lights on the frnt of my bc/763 (old style) i think are great.i haded a old set of driving lights on the back of my rops with a switch in side the cab for the rear, works great.
  5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat rear work lights are an option. Maybe the one you looked at didn't have them? All the Bobcat machines I've driven have had rear work lights that worked pretty well.

Depending on the application, the front lights have not always suited me... it would be nice, although probably impractical, to have a light follow the bucket, so you could see where you were putting the bucket when you picked it up. I'm sure it is possible, but probably expensive and maybe it would tear up in the first 100 hours anyway and you would just get pissed and not bother to keep repairing it?

Thankfully, the sun usually shines several hours every day around here.
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have had to move pallets at night and that wasn't fun as the bobcat lights didn't light anything. Working with a bucket and dirt and even a brush mower, the lights were adequate. It's a good light too as far as the brightness. Better than my old JD tractor.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have sured plowd enough snow after dark.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My Gehl has lights front and back and lights up the night. I use it to sweep parking lots late at night and it looks like day it is so bright
  9. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

a A300 to expand on our small tree service. For any snow removal or late evening work I like the area around the machine lit up, front and back. I've seen what HID's can do on ATV's...there incredible to say the least. I was just looking to see if anyone changed there bulbs on any of there skids? Thanks for all the responses so far...keep them coming.