1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lighting plan pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbailey52, Nov 1, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok So here are some before pictures of the job..The landscaping is done minus mulching because of the lighting and irrigation. Anyway here is my idea for lighting... I have a question in some spot with what I should be using... for example along the walls comming off of the house , I dont know if I should be using well lights, because I like the idea if the light comming out if the ground and going right up the wall more then a spot light shinning on the wall but I could be wrong... Also I will be using either a 600 or 900 Kichler trans... havent really added up wattage yet.... Please let me know what you think! Thanks! Also.. can you help me with pricing... I know theres so many variables.. but all the boaring was already done when we did the paving.. there are 2 inch pvc there for us to slide the wires through
  2. jbailey52

Ha forgo the pics.. sorry.. there arent as many as i Thought... I think from the plan you can see what yourlooking at.. if not let me know....

Also the walls have been finished with the owens corning chardonay stone that are on the house...
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought you said the landscape was done ????? looks to me like the hardscapes are done but not the landscapes.

Mr bailey I really think for your first few jobs you should seek professional help. It looks like your clients are spending some bucks. You could easily burn yourself on this if not planned and priced accordingly.

I would reccommend you call Kirk at dreams to designs in NJ and pay him his nominal fee to help you design your first few systems and oversee the installation.

On your plans you have no mentions of length of the runs nor the wattages so you cant say well im going to use this trans or that.

I admire your desire and courage to dive right in but in the long run I think you would benifit much much more from having a verteran on site to teach you a bit more.

If your going to mulch thoes beds I personally wouldnt be using well lights. I would use above grades and try to hide them behind shrubs and such. Perhaps a wallwash light would work well here too along your short wall.
  4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Amen, brother Billy....Bailey, if...if I could help you with your design from a few basic pics i would be doing so for contractors all over the country for a fee. Lighting is an art. One needs to walk through the space, have a conversation with the homeowners to understand their needs, their likes, their dislikes. Billy is right. This is potentially a nice project. If you try to move thru this with a little online help you won't be servicing your customer well, rather you will acomplish what most other contractors could do. Take Billy's advice and seek some professional help. The $$$ you spend now will benefit you many fold going forward.
  5. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

One piece of advice I can give you based on pictures...make sure those post lights it looks like are going to be installed on the post are on a dimmer switch. Do not put them on a photo cell only.
  6. Ambiance

Ambiance LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Which software did you use to create the drawing. Is it inexpensive and easy to use?
    Anyone else have a suggestion for an inexpensive software that is easy to use?
  7. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see some transformer problems just waiting to happen!
  8. jbailey52

I appreciate everyones "advice" on getting someone else to do this. But I have done several systems before, and I will be doing this one. And the post lights are line voltage lights being installed by the contractor. I dont know if I said it in the first post but the purple lines are the wire runs, longest being 50 ' Anway as I said earlier these are before pics, and the landscaping IS done... Now Proscapes You have helped me before and I appreciate that. But here I am looking for some advice on this design... not whether someone thinks I should be doing this or not. Thanks.
  9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy is not suggesting you have someone do this job for you, but get some help for your design. It is very difficult to critique your design from a drawing, not knowing plant size, topography or other site conditions.

Your use of well lights, in what appears to be planting beds will become problematic. If you use only a single lamp to uplight a plant, you will have a very one dimensional look to that plant, rather than have it well lit to stand out. The stairs up to the raised patio is a great place to have well lit. You may thing the line voltage lamps in the pillars will do, but more often they just create a problem of glare. The suggestion to have the pillar lights on a dimmer is an excellent suggestion, as the light from this raised position can be very obtrusive. By using area lights in place of path lights, you will also be able to highlight the work you have done in the beds as well as the walkway.

10. jbailey52

I appreciate your help... im not hear tryin to be a hard A$$ I am obviously here for some opinions... the installation of the lights is a not a prob.. I just had questions about the use of particular lights. So for the two big magnolias that are infront of the small wall use two spots each for the 3-d look. (I did this on another job people on here helped me with that were 12' eastern red cedars, looked great) But as for the wall behind it I thought it would look nice to have a light comming from the ground going up on the wall. Will a spot work well for this? And also, if I do that will the lights on the magnolia and the wall be too much?