Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by aben8057, Oct 20, 2004.

1. aben8057

aben8057 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello All...

As a recent purchaser of a new construction home, I would have thought that I move in and relax.....WRONG

Painting, cleaning, a little here a little there.

Well, the time has come to address the exterior of my home...the builder layed down sod in the front and hydro seeded the side and rear of the home.

About 2 weeks ago, I slice seeded the rear and side with perennial rye, used 10-10-10 fertilizer and dropped lime pellets over the area.
    I can see the blades protruding nicely...time will tell.

As we are facing a main road, I opted to go with a 3 foot berm and plant 14 Canadian Hemlocks for privacy...(the whole community has fences I want to be different)

I purchased low voltage lighting (20 watt) and placed them under the trunk of the trees facing upward. This effect is subtle but not what I was looking for.

The option that I am leaning towards is digging a trench and running a conduit in front of the trees and directing floodlights towards the trees facing the house.

My question to you is, will the floodlights burn or damage the trees in any way?

Thanx

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I have not found the light to be damaging to the trees but the trenching
    may be. Keep the trench outside of the drip line of the tree.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you learned the hard way that hemlocks don't look good when they are uplit.:)

Low voltage floods should be fine, just don't use 500 watt halogens on them.:D I've seen it done, and the resulting look is horrendous.

But to answer your question, Norm is right. The lights shouldn't burn the trees at all, unless you have them in direct contact with the foliage.

Dan