Lighting strikes wifes favorite tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leadarrows, Jul 5, 2003.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Maybe I should post this in the home owners section.:D
    Any way I would like to hear what some of you would do for this tree. I have read some on the Arborist site but there seems to be some disagreement as to the best way of doctoring tree wounds. What do you all think I should do?
    I have two pictures.
    Thank You.:)

karens ash tree #1.jpg

2. leadarrows

from N/A

I think its an Ash.

karens ash tree #2.jpg

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How far through the trunk does the wound go??? Is the black on top of the wound charred or decay???

4. leadarrows

from N/A

I think a little of both but it may be knot wood in the v of the tree as well.

karens ash tree #3.jpg

5. KenH

from CT

More than 1/2 way??

6. leadarrows

from N/A

No not halve way. Not even close really. It just seems to have taken off the limb and about three inches in as far as I can tell. I was going to go out and tack down the bark that is loose but another storm is here right now. I hope the wet conditions will buy me some time till tomorrow. In the morning I hope to get up there for a better look. I think I see chard area. What else could that black sooty looking substance be on the left lower part of the limb.

karens ash tree #4.jpg

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would leave it alone and let it heal on its own. Stay away from any kind of pruning sealer which does more damage than good. In a few years it should be completely healed over.

8. KenH

from CT

I agree to leave it. Trees have the ability to heal themselves...CODIT (Compartmentalization of Decay in Trees) The tree will seal itself off to prevent infection, and then 'grow around' the wound.