lighting styles for the great depression II

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

So, are S & H green stamps still around? I'm thinking maybe a flat rate per light, with a little bonus for each--get ten S & H green stamps for each brass fixture, etc.

Or maybe I should go back to the diversity thing, like filling my landscape trailer with loaves of bread and selling at street corners. A soup-and-bread thing might work good in the gated communities. Hand out my lighting business cards while I'm there: "I design and install value-based systems using real commodities."
  2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you can focus your lighting marketing campaign on lighting up Soup Kitchens and Welfare Offices!!! LOL Bad Bad Bad!

Things will turn around. Everyone just needs to hang tight!!
  3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Still Hanging tight Joey? I hope you guys are spending some time watching / listening to BBC, CBC, NPR, etc and getting a world view on this. (The mainstream media present such a narrow scope, hardly worth watching / listening to)

Iceland is reported to be near bankruptcy,
    3 Major European Banks collapsed this past week,
    The Asian markets are in free fall (China might not be in a position to buy any more US paper, or just might choose not to.)

Today was another no-joy ride on the markets and those in the know that I have talked with suggest that there is a lot more selling off that will come in the next few months. One of my 'guys' suggested we have not seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of the derrivatives markets revealing their leveraged exposure.

Interesting times indeed. Sit back and watch? No thanks. I just keep thinking of the thousands upon thousands of inefficient halogen lamps that are installed in lighting systems all around, and all those homeowners who are going to be looking for ways to reduce their electrical and maintenance bills. Here comes the LED guy... just in time to save you 80% off the power your lighting system requires. :) Oh and of course by going with LED LAMPS and not LED Fixtures, well we can just pop them in as a retrofit now can't we? Sweet.

Have a great day guys.
  4. JoeyD

I am still hanging tight, since I first posted that comment about an hour ago..........LOL
  5. Mike M

from usa

Go Joey!

I had to show a customer from a summer install how to turn off her system today without messing up the timer. She wanted to be "in" with the save energy/wall st. great depression thing. James, good luck selling "up grades" to people stuffing mattresses with money.

I wish I was closer to Canada, I'd take you up on the deer hunt.
  6. Mike M

from usa

Joey--soup kitchens, great idea--several paths for the long lines!

How about a shovel light, for burying money? Or light up bridges so people can see where to jump? lol
  7. JoeyD

8. lightsaber

lightsaber LawnSite Member

Did anyone see the commercial on TBS for a go green/energy saving program they are having during one of the playoff games. They are telling everyone to shut lights off during the game in hopes I assume it will catch on. They showed 3 houses with outdoor lighting and they shut them off. I guess that would cut down on maintenance re lamps.
  9. JoeyD

I didnt see that...........interesting..........
  10. Malibu landscape

Malibu landscape LawnSite Member

You are going to have to change a very very large qty of those halogens a year to make any real money doing that.

If you are approaching past clients the number is finite. I know I don't have enough out there to make a killing and......

The cost to market and sell that service to new is the same whether you sell a high margin install or a much lower margin LED retrofit. To boot you've shot yourself in the foot with future maintenance if indeed the LED's have as long a life is is purported.

Affluent homeowners are still investing in their homes. That's where I'm concentrating my efforts.