Lighting tall evergreen trees without a lift

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by rouseisland, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rouseisland

rouseisland LawnSite Member

This is our 2nd year in the christmas lighting business and we have a client who has a 24' evergreen tree that is not reachable by a boom. Last year we had a ladder resting to the middle of the tree, but could not rest it any higher because the tree would not physically hold on top. Any suggestions?

Deck & Drive Solutions / Elite Crete Iowa
    Residential & Commercial Pressure Washing
    Deck to Roof Restoration
    (515) 480-5593
  2. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

A-frame ladder.
  3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Orchard ladders. You should be able to get the single support leg in between the branches with ease. that will let you get right up to the tip with ease.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

If the tree truly is 24 foot, I would use a 16 foot heavy duty painters pole with a 6 foot little giant ladder fully extended to 12 feet tall in the step ladder position. with one man on the dround feeding you lights and one guy on the ladder, the tree should not be too dificult to do. we have done 30 foot tall trees this way with a 6 foot 4" guy that works for me, but that is about the max height you can get.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Long stick.
  6. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

No kidding..on some trees that I have been looking at I figured I needed a boom..20-30..I am going to get me one of those long painters poles...good deal

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Eventually you may also want to look into a large orchard ladder, we can get pretty far up with a 16' orchard ladder and a telescoping pole.
    The orchard ladder works nicely because you can put it thru the middle of the tree and get closer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

so do you think a tow behind boom is a waste for the day?