Lightingshrink.com - connectors for pros!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Aug 11, 2010.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Congratulations to my friend and colleague Jeremy. His connectors are making news!

Water-Tight connections are a critical element in landscape lighting.
    Nothing is better than lightingshrink!
    Jan Moyer, www.Janmoyerdesign.com

Hardscape Magazine... feature article;
    http://www.hardscapemagazine.com/articles_construction_07.htm

ABC'S Extreme Make over Home Edition...featured connector ;
    http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition/episode-guide/mattingly-family/320338

A great alternative to the venerable (but tricky and time consuming) "ACE" style connectors.

2. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I switched over to LightingShrink some time ago and have not looked back! The best connection out there for the professional.

Congrats Jeremy!

3. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

jeremy just joined AOLP, www.aolponline.org as well. have enjoyed using his product and am glad he's a member

4. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor

Jeremy,

PR is like a snowball... it keeps building on itself. I just submitted an article for a trade mag and gave lightingshrink a plug. I after reading this post this AM it reminded me to mention in line style connections.

Cheers!

Alan

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

over the past 5 years, having replaced a hundred or so corroded heat shrink leads on par 36 cans that were installed by myself and others 10-15 years ago, I can tell you from experience that heat shrink tubing will eventually allow water to wick up the insulation. The more wires in the heat shrink, the quicker the corrosion happens. You just cannot get heat shrink to fully seal 2 wires on either side of the connection. you are asking something round to essentially shrink to a figure 8 cross section shape. The good news is for me, on the older par 36 stuff, the corrosion stops 95% of the time at the grease wire connection I made to the home runs, hub, or just to heavier guage wire than the lead.

I cannot in good conscience reccomend heat shrink much beyond 10 years life. too many have failed.

I do think it looks cool and feels professional when you use the torch. I still use it on par 36 cans that folks refuse to replace, by using a heat shrink spade connector with additional heat shrink tubing over that to the wire.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

David, have you tried the product we are talking about? I realize shrink tubing has been around, but the glue that exudes from the shrink tube of a Lighting Shrink connection is substantial. It fills in the gaps and works in between the wires. If you have not tried the specific Lighting Shrink system yet I recommend you get a sample pack from Jeremy and try it first hand. It is not just a typical shrink tube connection.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

david, have to agree with Tommy..have u used this product? I had that problem with a manufacturers "ace" connector and others who tried knock off's, but the owner of Lighting Shrink is a contractor and used those same products. As a contractor, he made this connector from our perspective. I have found, if warmed properly, this connector to be an exceptional product.

8. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

Is it a different adhesive lined heat shrink than what was used with the ace?

I always hated being up in a tree trying to find an allen wrench to tighten that connector. The crimp style butt connector is a much better way to go. We have been using this style for a while now and really like it.

Steve

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I apologize, from the photo's on his website it appears to be a barrel connector, a heavy crimper and then heat shink tubing. I did not see any waterproofing gel, it is not mentioned in any photo or any page. but I watched the install video and at the very last second you can see something whitish oozing out. I can only assume that it is in the underside of the heat shrink, and when shrunk, it then squeezes out and fills the gaps between wires when using 2 or more wires at either side of the barrel. This gel chenges everything, is a very good idea and I stand corrected.

The barrel with the crimp makes for a very strong connection, the heatshrink makes for a good cover, and the gel closes the deal makings this the best connector out there period. It is obviously superior to wire nuts and ace connectors.

somebody tell heating shrink to mention the gel ! That is the bomb !

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

how would it be superior to an ace connector ? It is basically the same thing? The ace style connectors I have been using are quad wall tubing with industrial sealant. If you heat it right you see a nice amount of glue come out of the tubing. I never doubted it was sealed well. From soldering to ace connectors we have never had a connection fail from workmanship. Only one that has ever failed was at a base of a tree where a white tail buck rubbed the tree effectivly mangeling the wire and connectors beyond recognition