Lightly browning grass in new yard.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by zanemoseley, May 20, 2010.

1. zanemoseley

zanemoseley LawnSite Member

So my new yard in TN is doing ok but I am getting a little bit of browning. We have been getting a decent bit of rain but between rains it seems to brown quicker than other yards. I'm not sure if its because the roots aren't super deep yet or if its my soil. My soil is clay heavy with about 1" of top soil. I fertilized twice this spring (.5# of N each) and overseeded. Are their any supplements I should add to the yard to help? The picture below is yesterday before mowing.

[​IMG]

2. zanemoseley

One particular suppliment I was looking at was iron in granular form but I know next to nothing about it.

3. chloeourdog

chloeourdog LawnSite Member
    from MD

Acid Rain or acidic soil? Maybe try a treatment of lime from time to time?

4. biggziff

biggziff LawnSite Member

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

tough to tell by a picture but couple suggestions. Check the pH as mentioned and to me your lawn looks hungry, have you fertlized adequatly? If not 1 lb slow release nitrogen per/k might do the trick

6. zanemoseley

I had the clay portion tested in the fall, it was low in P & K and the PH was slightly low but the ext office did not recommend liming, I will retest in the fall. I fertilized 1/2# N of 15/20/10 in March when I overseeded and another 1/2# of N of 12/6/6 with slow release about a month ago. From what I've read 1# of N in the spring is about all you want to throw out on Tall Fescue, I was planning on doing 2 apps this fall at 1# of N each.

7. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

adequately...........that sp looks better :hammerhead:

8. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Get a soil sample done. Most new soil is horrible from the building materials left behind. When you're putting down fert is it just N.. you need some K to get those roots going. Try some starter fert and keep it watered.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't we cover this? I would appear you did not follow advice given.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280578

10. zanemoseley

Well last year I had a total bomb out, no grass to speak of, no mowing, nothing. I've had good growth this year and have mowed 5 times or so but given my soil I expected to have a few problems.

I took the advice given to me and did what I could with the budget I had. With 1 1/2 acres I didn't have $20,000 to bring in 30 loads of compost and have it tilled along with the other expenses.

Here is a picture of the yard after mowing yesterday. Today I bought some Ferromec AC that has a bit of N was well.

[​IMG]