Lightning damage part II

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Here are two pics of the two Rc 12's and solenoids that had been struck by Lightning. This property has been struck by lightning twice in less than a year. $2000 in repairs from the lightning damage on the irrigation system.payup

ld1.jpg

ld2.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sell 'em a hydraulic system! :p

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

this past year i didnt have but one call for lighting damage. nothing major just a controller.

two years back, i had about a dozen. One i'll never forget. A system i installed, had a Toro Greenkeeper 212 outdoor cabinet controller, got blown off the wall and ripped into about 20 pieces all over the garage. Only thing salvagable was the door.

Every wire splice melted in all valve boxes all over the yard (and i dont do manifolds!) a couple of solenoids were gone. shattered couldnt find them... blew valve box lids in pieces

Seems to me that toro solenoids damage easily and fall apart. Ive never seen a rainbird dv solenoid bust open.

4. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

More to follow ...

Image080.jpg

Image086.jpg

Image087.jpg

Image094.jpg

Image098.jpg

5. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

This was one of my worst. We got a boat load of lighting calls around here. Notice anything missing in the wire that is pictured? How about the copper. The lighting hit hard enough to blow the controller across a three car garage, blew the valves off the main, melted the copper in 30' of 16awg, and fried 45' of multistrand. The same month I had another house that got hit twice 2 weeks apart. One week we did controller, three valves, and we got a call two weeks later to replace the fried controller again. Hit the same tree twice. I thought the picture of the giant surge protector was cute. The valves were db, and all the solenoids exploded. JW

Image099.jpg

Image101.jpg

Image090.jpg

Image081.jpg

6. NC_Irrigator

from NC

In a borat voice "VERRY NIICE"

(That PASS sticker can now be removed.)
    [​IMG]

Ive seen a few shattered pipes myself.

7. NC_Irrigator

from NC

You aught to try to return that controller.

Tell them it quit working and you cant figure out why. Make sure you show them the cabinet as well

8. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I figured I would let that one slide considering all the others they have warranted for me that were a little less obvious.

9. NC_Irrigator

from NC

i was kiddin

10. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I know you were, I have been known to throw plenty of antique parts on the counter only to have the guys laugh at me. I figure all they can say is no. :laugh: