1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lightning Damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Here are a few pictures of Lightning damage on piping. Four zones affected by the lightning and piping was over 18" deep.

2. that looks just like freeze damage....wow.
  3. Since it is something that I never really have had to deal with, why would lightning strike a plastic water pipe? Something to do with the mineral content of water?
    Was this just a fluke?

I've replaced surged timers, but never a pipe that was hit by electricity of a lightning strike.
  4. I repair about 1-2 jobs a year with damaged piping from lightning. Not real sure why it happens but it does. The two areas are about 12 feet apart and about 10ft and 22ft away from the tree that was hit by lightning.
  5. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

what happens to the ground? a hole all the way through?
  6. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

I've only seen it happen once here in The Lightning Capitol of the World. It hit the pipe between the well and home. It did a number on about a foot and a half of the pipe. Looked a lot like your pics. There was an oak tree nearby which was also hit. I assume it hit the tree first and followed a root to the pipe.

We also have lightning that hits then travels across the ground for a mile or so looking for an electrical ground. I know because one of them hit me about 15 years ago. It didn't do any damage to me, except a pain in my chest (not near my heart). A spark jumped from the end of a piece of pipe I was getting ready to pick up about 1.5 foot into my boot, jumped from my knee to my elbow and into the truck I was standing next to and touching. Scared the s*** out of my helper. I just stood there for a minute collecting my thoughts and trying to figure out if I had already been transported to a better place.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Man... it really smashed them. What's the possibility that there may be other breaks/holes once you repair this?

Also... Talk to Jon about taking pictures with your boot toes in them. Edit them out. :laugh:
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry... California's already full up. :laugh:

At least we don't have the magnitude of lightning you guys have. Just earthquakes. :)
  9. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Yeah, then we have the Hurricanes. I'm not sure what's worse. You know when the Hurricane is coming long before it gets here. The news teams make sure of that. They hipe them to death.

But you don't know when or where the Lightning is coming and the same is true of Earthquakes, so I guess we are pretty much both at great risk.

How about Montana, does that sound safe???

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, just left there from vacation. Massive wildfires. I was also up there in 2003 when Glacier was on fire.