lightning damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Few pic of lightning damage.

Pic#1 1 of 6 solenoids damaged, the lid for the valve box was blown over 5ft away.
    [​IMG]
    Pic# 2 main line damaged
    [​IMG]
    Pic#3 more pics of blown lines.
    There was a total of 6 blown pipes and 6 blown solenoids and one cut wire which was for the master valve.
    [​IMG]
    controller with the face plate blown off.
    [​IMG]

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Holy cow! You're becoming quite the lightening expert. Thanks for the pics.

3. We receive a lot of lightning damage in my area for sure, I know I repair more damaged wiring than any other contractor in my area. I have replaced 2 Rain Bird ESP controllers this week and will be replacing another ESP on Wednesday. On a side note, others on this board feel master valves are not needed but when lightening blows up the main the only thing stopping the water running is the master valve. It just shows how things are different in different parts of the country. When we install a master valve we tell the customer it is like a safety valve.

4. I'm back on the MV bandwagon. Got off because I saw it as a reason to do less than adequate gluing on the rest of the system but problem not as prevalent as I thought. Definitely helps one sleep at night and go on vacation.

5. I also manifold 99% of my residential install with very little wiring out in the field. The reason for this is that the lightening runs in on the wiring and this is what blows up the system. The controller I will be replacing on Wednesday is next door to a job I did about 8 years ago, I received a call that he was struck by lighting and his controller and other household items were not working. We stopped by the customers house and checked his controller and wiring. The controller was a Rain Dial and all it needed was resetting and then it was fine. The neighbor came over and said he was also hit by lightning and could I check his controller. He had what I call a scatter valve system and his controller was fried, no display but zone # 3 was always hot. This is another reason why I don't scatter valve because all the field wiring acts like a big antenna for lightning. Most of the systems with major lightning damage are scatter valve systems. Once again it just shows that things are different in each area. On a sad note a 17 year old was struck and killed by lightning this week, while on a soccer field.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This really points out the regional differences in what we do to accomplish our goals. It makes perfect sense to me why you would do this with all the lightening strikes you guys get. It boils down to professionalism and knowing what is a viable solution for systems in your area. I have definitely filed this valuable info in my knowledge base.

Very sad indeed.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

As do I. Reduced field wire is one good reason, another is minimizing constant pressure lines and neatness. Also for systems without remotes, much easier to test the system by triggering the valves manually.

Don't really get much lightning around these parts. Once in a long while a good thunderstorm will role through and give us a good light show.