lights as options on the Lazer?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gunpowder, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Any chance of Exmark including a light kit as an option. I have seen some add them themselves. I saw that BushHog has them mounted in the front center. Wouldn't work with the Exmark but I have seen them bolted directly behind the front tires. Wired into the hour meter with a switch in line.

Interest is on the LZ27LKA60.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey gunpowder,

The light kit project was on the list of things to do, and then it was off the list of things to do. To be honest, I don't know where this project currently stands. We've always struggled with the whole area of attachments and accessories. If possible, we try to outsource these projects. I'll check and get an update to you guys.

I know some individuals have come up with inexpensive light kits for their Lazers. One of the things you have to worry about when doing this is overtaxing the charging system. For instance, most engines have at least a 15 amp alternator. The clutch takes 6 amps, and the charging system takes 3 amps. These leaves a maximum of 6 amps for the lights in over to provide enough charge for the battery. Anything over 6 amps will run the battery down and cause weak pull and torque capacity of the clutch. When this happens, the clutch will slip and prematurely wear.

The 27-hp Liquid Cooled Kaw's. have a 30 charging amps, but 15 to 20 are used to power the electric fan. You may only be working with a minimum of 10 amps. This leaves you with only 4 amps for lights (after you subtract 6 for the clutch). If you decide to put a light kit on your Exmark (LZ27LKA604), be sure to keep it at or under 4 amps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin

3. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

Gunpowder & Dustin,

I think a light option is a good idea. I run a Lazer Z HP with the 27HP Daihtsu diesel and mow 15 acres of northern grass. I often find myself pushing to beat sundown. No problem when there's full moon, but lights would really help see the stripes and tire tracks. When it gets too dark, I have to switch to the Kubota belly mower and that is way too slow. Thought about mounting a pair of small halogens on the Exmark, but just didn't get around to it yet.

I'll be interested in seeing what you recommend.

Dave
    @Oak-Knoll-Farm

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Any updates?

5. eXmark

DD,

The light kit has just been released but it'll be mid-January before they'll be available.

Thanks

Terry

6. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Do they have to be mounted to the ROPS?

7. gunpowder

from Indiana

Sounds good! Will they be an option or standard equipment on the 2004 models? When will pricing get to the dealers. I will soon be getting quotoes around for next year.

8. eXmark

Guys,

The lights will not be standard equipment. The light kits will have a suggested retail of $99 and should be available in January.

The mounts are designed specifically for the ROPS. If you want to mount them elsewhere you'll need to fabricate a mounting bracket.

This is just one more good reason buy buy the ROPS at the promotional price of $179. All kidding aside, if you ever wanted or considered a ROPS now is the time to do it. List on the ROPS is $319

Thanks

Terry

9. gunpowder

from Indiana

I just glanced at the literature packet you guys sent previous owners but I gathered ROPS was going to be standard equipment for 2004 +. I trade every year.

10. eXmark

Gunpower,

You are correct.

I think you'll also like several other changes for 04. You may want to contact your dealer for a demo. The 04's have been popping up all over the country over the past couple of months.

Thanks

Terry