Lights for backing up with a trailer at night?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Do you guys know where I can get some lights for backing up with my trailer at night? I keep my trailer on a friend's farm and sometimes I end up dropping the trailer off late at night when it is pitch black. I want something that mounts under the rear bumper. Would a pair of foglights do the trick or is there anything made especially for this purpose?

2. Ole Green

Ole Green LawnSite Member

3. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

;)

anyone else?

4. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

I used a foglights from Northern Tool, total cost to install ran about $30. That inlcuded two lights,switch,wire. You can probably find the lights cheaper at walmart or something, when i bought them they were regular $18.99 on sale for $9.99

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

A pair of fog lights, running lights, or utility lights on a relay switch would work just fine. I have a set of KC low profile fogs and they work great!

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pair of hella 55w fog lights on the back of my f350, it really helps with the tint'ed windows at night.

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

im a truck driver, i drive a rolloff semi, and often back up down alleys, and in dark landfills. i switched the turn signals on my trailer to amber. when i back up, i put on the 4 way flashers, does a pretty good job of lighting the way, cheap but not as good as the other replies here.

8. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i just got a set of 55w lamps at auto zone and added them right above my 3 way led lights on my trailer. i have a 10 guage wire running from my battery back into a relay. so when i put my truck into reverse and i have the trailer.. it triggers it and they light up. i also have a set in my landscaping box on the front of my trialer. at night i turn my cargo light on and they light up on my trailer, so i can unload at night. they are set up the same way.
    thanks,
    lance

oh ya i have a 30 amp inline fuse in my wiring for my trailer.. just to protect everything

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I have the Pilot back up lights from Meijer's for $20. I made 2 brackets for each side out of 1" 1/8 thick flat stock steel & mounted them directly below my trailer brake lights. I cut a thick mud flap up & mounted that in front of the lights on the front side of the bracket to protect them. Wired them up & played with the aiming a touch. They work great.

Chris

10. "Ground Control"

"Ground Control" LawnSite Member