1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lights for my Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gridermowing, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Gridermowing

Gridermowing LawnSite Member

I just recently got a Scag Tiger Cub and would like to have some lights for it for after dark mowing on my property. I really can't see spending what Scag wants for them.
    Is there anyway around it? Can you just get some fog lights and do it? Or would be doing this just cause problems?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure they don't draw too much current. You can rig some up but I wouldn't go for anything really powerful. I have the factory ones, they work fine but they are a bit expensive.
  3. Allamericanlandscaping

Allamericanlandscaping LawnSite Member

i would just bite the $169 dollar bullet. you will be better off because they are designed for this mower. also they will look better than a home made system.
  4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah, The factory lights are always easier to install, What's $169.00 when you know their going to work right when your done?
  5. Allamericanlandscaping

Allamericanlandscaping LawnSite Member

i couldn't agree more, just that piece of mind when you buy scag lights for well... a scag.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the things that really gets me. People spend several thousand dollars on a piece of equipment that will make them a ton of money over it's lifespan, then complain about the cost of an accessory item that will further increase their income. Spend the $$$ and quit whining.
  7. Gridermowing

Hey buddy first off I am not whining I just asked a simple question if it would hurt anything or not. Excuse me for asking a question on here. Second off I don't make a ton of money on it. This is my first Zero Turn and just thought it would be nice to have some lights on it. I mow just enough yards to make the payment on it. This is not a full time job for me, it is just a side job a few afternoons a week. If the accessories would make me money I wouldn't hesitate to get something but for this it is for personal use.
  8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen some posts on here where some guys have bought some lights at walmart, spent less then $30, and wired them into their mower. Not saying its the best option, because it may draw too much current from you battery, but it could work. I would personally go with what the others are suggesting and just purchase the light kit thats made for the mower.
  9. Gridermowing

Yeah I know that the light kit made for it would be best but right now it isn't an option. Thanks for the help.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You can get driving light kits at Walmart cheap. Believe me, they will work just as good and have zero affect on the mower. It's a simple in-line fuse and mounting brackets to mount them with a switch to turn them on and off, which by the way, Scag mounted the switch on the mounting bracket for the light! Why not mount the switch on the control panel? We're not talking rocket science here. Just because Scag sells a lighting kit doesn't mean they are the only ones that will fit correct and look good when done. At 75 watts total, I doubt a after market kit will rate any higher for regular kits. Just get a kit within that range and save yourself a ton of money that could be used for other tools or fuel for that matter.