Lights not working.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Raven386, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I just hooked up my trailer to move it tonight and noticed that the lights on the right hand side of the trailer no longer work and while i was driving the left side started cutting in and out. could this be a blown fuse or is it a pinched wire someplace? the lights on my truck are fine... last time i checked the lights were working... could the plug be water logged from the storm or something?? thanks for your ideas... im pretty clueless when it comes to this kinda stuff.

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailers can be a pain especially with the ground. Also spray some Blaster or some kind of elect. spray on a regular basis in both ends of your plugs.
    Mike

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your ground. Sometimes on smaller trailer it grounds through the ball and hitch. Sand down the ball and the hitch on the trailer, or drive it around a little. See if that helps anything. When I pull my boat out of storage in the spring, it always has light problems, and this usually cures it.

4. Raven386

from CT

we took it out today and still no lights... only on the right side... theres no obvious pinched wires or cut wires..ill check out the ground i guess. Thanks for the help! i truly appreciate it Thank you!

5. Raven386

from CT

still no lights. im going to grind the ball down and try doing the same to the hitch on the trailer. all i got out of trying today was the other side flickering on and off.

6. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my trailer. The problem was that i blew a fuse in my truck. I brought my trailer back to where I bought it and the changed the fuse for free. They were great about it...CAMP OUT in NJ. Since the change I haven't had a prob...which was about 10 months ago.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If your wiring is all good, then it's a couple of things:

1. Bad ground
    2. Fuses on the truck (this sounds like your problem)

Check the fuse box on your truck, chances are there's something blown.

8. wo_horseman

wo_horseman LawnSite Member

Yea fuses on a newer truck are seperate from the trailer also check inside the plugs on both trailer and truck could have pulled out wire

9. Raven386

from CT

ok thanks everyone! ill check the fuses today.

10. Raven386

from CT

ok found some wires that the chains pinched and severed. i reconnected them all just they was they were. Now the lights work. but when brakes are applied theres no change in trailer lights. signals still do not work on both sides.