Lights on mowers.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Oct 20, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How many guys/girls use lights on their mowers? We have a decent amount of lawns and this time of year we seem to run out of daylight around 6:30-7ish and we still have about 1-3 lawns left to mow. I wouldn't think customer's would complain because its only 7ish, its not like its 9pm. What kind of lights do you use?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

55W clear halogen tractor or off road driving lights. You can get these at any auto parts store or Target/ WalMart,etc.. Make sure your charging system is able to handle the load. Different mowers have different amp ratings, and with elec. deck clutches, electric start, elce. lift, etc, you can overload your charging system. Check your owner's manual and check the light packaging for the information.
  3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have to have electric start mowers to have lights. This is a stupid quesition. But I dont know if all mowers have a generator on them to use or just a steady current. For expample could someone put them on a Recoil start exmark viking?
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would not think so. You need a charging system and battery to runthe lights. If it is just a pull start only, the mangeto only produces anough juice to fire the spark plug.

I have 2-55W Off Road Driving lights on my JD 727 Z. I installed them myself using a swith-relay set-up. They work pretty good. I even have them so tha tyou have to have the ignition switch on to use them. That way no accidental switch flipping in the trailer and dead battery on the job site. I used them a few times last week and again last night. I use them on my yard all fo the time. I just cannot seem to mow my own yard in the daytime.

If you need help with getting the wired correctly, let us know.
  5. MattsMowing3535

Thanks. I wonder how long a light set would last with just a battery on a mower nad now charge. . . :confused: probly barly 1 yard.
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

You might get about 2-3 hours use, if you only used them during mowing. Most of my yards I have mowed in 15 minutes or less. Buy you two extra mower batteries (about $20 each from Walmart) and swap them out if needed. and charge them each every night. Might work????
  7. MattsMowing3535

ya thats a good idea. Ill have to try to rig that up for the early spring and late fall mowing. thanks for the idea. Never though of useing 2 and swaping them when power runs out.
  8. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Swapping them out will work, but don't run them too low.

The type of batteries we use on these machines are considered "starting" batteries. That is they are built to provide good current for short periods of time to start the engine, then sit charging the rest of the time.

Continuiously draining this type of battery right down will kill it in no time.

Deep cycle batteries on the other hand are made to be deep discharged often. They don't come in the physical sizes we use here.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Yes, this is true. It would be nice to find deep cycle battery in a mower sized battery.
  10. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I have a recoil start on my Stander. I use LED lights. The newer ones are pretty bright. I have two, 20 light lights on magnets I mount on the mower deck and 3 9 light mini flashlights I strap on my headphones. LED's run for hours, the LED's (light emiting diodes) last about 80,000 - 1000,000 hours. I posted a pic yesterday.