Lights on the lawn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 16, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

With the sun going down earlier and earlier every night now, I've been tempted on putting lights on the mower, in cases like today where we've had 2 days of rain, and I'm 3 days behind.

My only question is, for you guys running lights on your mower now, how do you do the trimming?

I was thinking a person could take one of those little lights you wear on your head, like I use for ice fishing at night, and strap it onto your trimmer?? Other than that, anyone else have any ideas?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you know your last job is going to run a bit late, then you do your trimming first. This will leave you open for mowing. If it's a big place, and/or something with access, and your daylight hours are that crucial, go back and do the trimming the next morning when the grass is too wet to mow somewhere else, anyway. Just a suggestion.

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Lwnmwrman22,
    I was going to suggest the same thing as Runner. I think about doing all the trimming first while it's still light out. That way you can mow into the wee hours of the morning with lights on your mower. The headlamp would probably work, but I'm sure if you went back the next day you'd find spots that had been missed. Its probably a little different then watching that 10" hole with your bobber dancing around while that crappie is tapping your minnow... :blob4:

Buck

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I would look at applying a PGR to the edges to reduce trimming time overall if you're that busy all the time. May not be cost effective to apply to entire yards but could help you save on line trimming overall. Start with all your trimming first and then finish with mower like was already said, at work durring the summer we started before sun up and would use the outdor security lighting to do the majority of the edging with and for areas with little lighting we'd just point the headlights of the Gator or tow tractor at those areas on do it like that. Wal-Mart sells a headband that holds a Maglite that will work also, we used them for picking up parking lot in the morning. Under 3 bucks I think.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you do decide to work at night a lot invest in an LED system for headgear. they run about 300 hours before a battery change on the most part.

my Gravely 260Z has twin headlights on it, i've used them twice. probably will have to do it this friday too since its supposed to pour on saturday when i've got my biggest work load.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah Buck, just a little different. I actually have a couple strapped to the poles in the portable, and have them zoomed out enough where they cover both holes on one side of the house.

I suppose I could just drop about 15-20% of my workload for next year, actually get back to working 5 1/2 days / week, instead of 7 1/2 like I am right now.

Kinda hard keeping everyone on the same day anymore.

7. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

We have used the headlamps a couple of times this year. I started with one of the new LED lights but it really isn't that bright. We next bought one of the ones with the standard bulb which uses more batteries but does light things up a little better. Neither works that great. The way I look at it is it will get you by in a bind but I wouldn't want to do it that often.

8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Good idea on both topics...like the idea of strapping a couple of those to the poles, I'll have to try that. Also think the idea of cutting back to 5.5 days is a good idea too, enjoy life a little bit. My dad worked night & day, weekdays & weekends. He's not with us anymore because of it.

Buck