1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lights on Z-Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 727A with the 23HP Kawisaki engine and it has the ROPS bar on the back. I was wondering if anyone has installed lights on their Z-Turns to assist in mowing in the late evening and getting caught in the dark. It is getting dark right at about 7:45 to 8PM right now and after 7:30 that light fades fast. I was cutting a property a few days ago when the sun started to fall and I almost could not see where I had cut and what needed to be cut.

If installed with proper grounding and switch, would a set of Driving lights form an auto parts store create a problem with battery charging on this Mower. Any thoughts apprecaited.
  2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

That used to be my dilemma. I have scene gotten older and wiser. I do not mow that late anymore.
    Stay in this game long enough and you either grow or flounder.
    If you grow, you will have the manpower and the equipment to finish sooner.

Mow after dark? Not a chance.
  3. captken

I wondered the same thing, and yes you can put lights on the machine, but why?
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

Right now I am mowing part time, after work. It is critical that I get about 3 lawns done a night to keep up with what I need to get done and I am Solo. I do nto want to get caught that late again and end up missing something and haing the yard look bad.

I also mow several yard for realtors where the houses are empty and none of them have close neighbors. I could actually mow them a little later in the evening and use the daylight time to get my regular customers.

I hope to grow soon enough that I can work this lawn care full time and be able to finish long before dark and call it a day.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

No way will I mow after dark. Why do you want too:confused: :confused:
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I have caterpillar waterproof/shock proof switch and lights. They are really conventient, all you have to when your mowing late evening/night is just make sure when your doing the lawn that you can see what spots you need to weedeat.. but if your laying stripes then you can forget it beause you will never see the stripes with lights .. I mostly use mine for late evening and also if you have some once a month lots and things like that it is really easy to use.

If you mount lights you can probably get car fog lights and a water proof switch, you should mount them so you can see the yard AND your deck wheels.
    For mine I take the ground off the lights, hook them together and run them to the frame and screw it in. I took the positive and ran it to the switch, and then I ran a part of the switch and ran it to the battery. If you want pictures I can give some.

You can see in my forum picture where they are mounted against the gas tank.
  7. captken

Exactly. I have used the customer's outside lights to finish. But they did not want me to imposition them that way...and told me so..[why don't you come back tomorrow and finish...] they probably thought it was stupid, or hard up for money........

Way unprofessional, bordering on Ghetto, get me some cash NOW! got to feed them kiddies...
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

I understand all of you comments about owing after dark, but like I said, I mow in the evenings, and sometimes I cannot even start teh first yard until 5PM, I am solo and by 8PM it is Black dark here and getting darker earlier. Not all weekends are options due to National Guard Drill and you cannot always bank on a Saturday being good weather, not lately anyway. So, my customers understand that I am there in the evenings. I would not show up to a customers house to cut after dark, but I want to be able to finish in tha dark if that is what is neccessary and I do not want to inconvience them by having them turn on lights after dark.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with mowing after dark if that's what works out for you. Most mower manufacturers have light kits. I have heard of comercial jobs using outdoor lighting when the days get shorter. Of course make sure you customers are comfortable with it. This is something alot of part timers have to deal with as well as full time LCO's that may have had bad weather, breakdowns, etc. Some people do have to feed the kids. I'm one. Mowing part time is about the only way I can afford to be close to my kids without seeking employment with a job that keeps me away. I have enough skills to make alot more money but choose to be close to home.
  10. captken

You are asking a full time guy for advise? Maybe you should have to choose what is more important to you, mowing or your present endeavour.
    Want to have your cake and to eat it too?