lights

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mr.Lawn, May 4, 2007.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Does anybody use caution lights on their rigs???? What about cones?????

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

there's a post here somewhere with a pic attached where a car ran upon to someones trailer. he had his cones out.....

I use cones almost everytime

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have two line of fire running lights because I found the OEM lights up on the fender are not visible to tailgaters, however if someone hits me in the rear it is ALWAYS their fault.

[​IMG]

4. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites - Were did you get those lights? They look like they would work great and add a cool look to the trailer.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure to read through, there's a bit of stuff to know, but I got the shorter version at Advance Auto, they're $50 each (right at $100 for two), they're not the 60" that's too long, I think these are 48 or 54" I forgot.

But they are tailgate runners, they're not made for left and right applications, they actually split in the middle and are made for horizontal installation... Took a bit of doing to get them to work left / right so the whole thing would light up (instead of just half). There are four wires coming out of each, technically you use one strip horizontally and connect left to left and right to right, then one side lights up respectively... But the way I used them, each side BOTH left / right wires got spliced into that side's turn signal wire, hope it makes sense.

Next, to get them to fit they barely went in there, they actually bend a little if you look closely, that's how tight it gets, and I had to drill a hole in the bottom to get the wires through, that helped.

Then, in my case the passenger side was easy fit-as-is, but the driver's side was backwards (because they're all the same, again not meant for left-right)... So I had to CAREFULLY pull out the thin electronic strip with all the led's out of the enclosure, turn it around and slip it back through, very carefully (that or run the wires out the TOP of the gate (which is furthest from the hinges). It almost broke on me but I got lucky lol, so very carefully.

Last but not least, I used two tubes of PCV type glue to secure them onto the gate, the sticky pads of the runners just weren't sticky enough.

But yeah, with a bit of doing and ingenuity, I got it goin' on, they ahh look purdy at night :)

The two little yellow looking squares at the bottom are actually reflector tape, the flash makes them act as lights.

6. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, They do look sweet on there. Ive been thinking about putting lights on my trailer cus the stock lighting just doesnt cut it, Plus some you just cant see at times. I like what you've done, I may try them .

Again thanks for info.