1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by superman, Sep 9, 2004.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Pj, Did you ever hear anything from the engineers about putting lights on the super Z? You were going to ask about putting LED's on one for me.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Let me check my inbox from a while back, I dont think I overlooked it...but maybe..
    I will let you know.

3. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Please do. This would interest me as well. The shorter days are coming quick.
  4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

L.E.D. lighting won't do you a lot of good for illumination... What needs to be on all these mowers is H.I.D. technology which is much superior to incandescent flood lighting..
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am told there are no plans to offer LEDS or any light kit for the Super Z's.

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

allright guys, lets make something.......
  7. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I am with you Matt. That is going to be something I work on this winter. Let me know if you come up with any good way to make some brackets. I really don't think a set of lights would be that much of a pull on the battery, in my case anyway. I wouldn't be running them all night. I would bet they wouldn't be run more than 2 hours a week.

If anybody out there has lights on their superz, post up some pics. Tell me how long you have had them mounted and how they are doing.
  8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

It not that we cant mount them is the the charging systems are max out on a super Z with the extra draw with the cooling fan that a super has. Unless you can fin a light that pulls less than 2amps you will max out the charging sytem and will cuase premature failure.

Thats what it is boys and girls. :cry:
  9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Halogen lighting maybe superior to incandescent lighting but it doesn’t come close to the Light Emitting Diodes (LED).
    The halogen lights use a lot of amps-watts compared to the LED’s. If you can solder, you can make your own LED lighting for your Super Z that wont overload your electrical system. They only need 1.5 volts to operate and hardly any amperage, plus the light will last 10 years before burning out. Just go to a Radio Shack and ask one of their salesmen how to wire them up to a 12-volt system. You will need to drop the voltage from 12 volts down to 1.5 volts using a resister. Making the frame for the lights will be the hardest part of the job. (If you know anything about electrical circuits) the person at the Radio Shack should be able to answer any electrical question you might have. This is another one of those things I plan on doing if I can ever get the time! (My wife has a lot of honey-do’s for me!)
    I have several LED flashlights that have only one AAA battery and it will illuminate for 12 hours +.
    I hope this helps.
  10. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Yep, LED's seem the way to go. I've just received a Whelen catalog and I'm trying to figure out what model would best be adapted for a SuperZ.