Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by suprman9019er, Feb 24, 2005.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

Why do people always put lights on the top of their trucks? what is the point of these lights? What purpose do they serve?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't put them there. It came with the truck. It was the only truck I could find with all the options I required (snow plow pkg, trailer kit, etc.) and it happened to have the roof marker lights.
  3. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

If you're referring to the (usually 5) marker lights along the leading edge of the cab roof, those are called I.C.C. lights, and are required by state and federal mandate on trucks with a GVW rating over a certain size. (I can't remember the exact weight at this moment) One ton trucks have 'em, and 3/4 ton usually DON'T. SO... The weight break is somewhere around that size.... :waving:
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Indy has it right. I love guys that have them on their trucks. At night on a two lane highway, it sure is easy to tell they aren't a sheriff's car.
  5. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

thanks for clearing that up gentlement
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

My 3/4 ton does and I'm glad it does. My truck is all white and in heavy snow, or even just at night, those amber lights really stick out. I just feel people can see me better, which is a goos thing. :)

I didn't realize it had anything to do with weight, that's interesting.
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

The 5 lights on top are a state deal I think. I live in SE. Iowa, and the trucks sold in Iowa do not have them, but Trucks sold in Illinois just across the Mississippi river all have them. I may be wrong, but I think that is the deal around here.
  8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

i do believe they are clearance lights for under a bridge i think but i think they look good the sell them as an after market kit to so
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Clearance lights

based on Width width of a vehicle..larger than 80 inches wide....I dont' think Ive see any Burbans or explorers or excursions withem, but Hummers have them as do all Dually P/U they are wider than most vehicles....If I read correctly that it used to be just commercial vehicles needd the clearance lights, but the laws changed so that all vehicles if meeting the width need clearance lights.....