Lightweight Equipment.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernFried, Aug 1, 2004.

1. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Shindaiwa t27's for almost 15+ yrs...and I guess that's the problem. I'm finding them more burdesome to carry each passing year.

I'm looking to go lighter...much lighter. As light as possible, and still hold up commercially. I do well-maintained residential properties only...and some of them are over an acre of beds/walks/driveways...fully manicured and landscaped, so a lotta trimming.

Anyway, I have read about Shindaiwa t30's and was thinking about getting one...but I've heard the new 4 cycle t31 just doesn't have enough power.

What's your favorite brand and model of lightweight trimmers? I know Echo's can be light...but, every peice of echo equipment I've bought over the yrs (mostly hedgers), just haven't held up. Stihl seems to make good stuff, but, they all seem heavy to me (everything seems heavy to me these days ;) )

Since I've used Shindaiwa t27's exlusively...I know very little about other trimmers.

BTW, I still think the Shindaiwa t27 has got to be one of the best trimmers out there. They hold up year after year, and I have never ran into a situation where I didn't have enough power. These things have been tanks, and I have nothing bad to say about them.

'Cept they tend to weigh more after using them awhile.

Any lightweight/durable hedge trimmer recommendations would be appreciated too :)

2. premier lawn care

premier lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Tx

RedMax bcz 2600s, I've got 12 and love them

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Check out Robin products if you have them around your area. They make a model under this one that most of the guys around here use. I chose the 25cc model but, it's a little more money.

lawn equip to post 003.jpg

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Tanaka and Dolmar both make trimmers in the 21cc class that are around 8 lbs. I have the Dolmar with a rapid loader head. Works good for normal trimming. I wish the company's would make an adjustable locking throttle so we don't have to keep a finger on the trigger all the time.

Gene

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have carpal tunnel so I NEED light weight trimmers. I now use a Husquvarna 325L. I've found that it's the lightest (around 10lbs) most powerful 25cc trimmer out there. Second to that would be the Kawasaki. I maintain 65 properties per week and I've been using the same Husky for the last 2 years and haven't had to do anything to it. One or 2 pulls and it screams spinning .095 OR .105 line. I don't think it'll ever die.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

SF, how about a trimmer with about the same power but weighs 10.8lbs?? Interested? If so, go get yourself a Kawasaki ktr27a and be done. I too, used the t-270's for a long time, but when they came out with the t-272 " emissions " model, that weighs more and I believe has less power that sealed the deal, no more shin's... Oh, did I mention that the Kawi's are readily available for @ $220 or less ( less on e-bay ).....

7. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa T22 home owners version, very light,good power, paid $200 for it last year. Got it for back up trimmer for my Sthil ( paid $450 for it), but use the Shindaiwa most of the time.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The Redmax BCZ2500SU is 10.8lbs, 25.4 cc's, and is the new Strato Charged technology from Redmax thatis CARB TierII certified. Very smooth, balanced, powerful and gets great fuel economy. but...it ain't cheap, expect to pay over
    $300.

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a Stihl FS-85 Extreme and love it! Lots of power and not too heavy. It starts and runs better than my Kawasaki's but the Kawasaki is lighter. Also run Kawasaki hedge trimmers and they are great too!

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

cannot be beat, except
    when a light weight trimmer will do...
    I use a t 230,
    you can run with it...

Mine all are in good shape and I do not intend to replace them until they are wore out.

I don't know a 4 cycle equivalent...