Ligustrums

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TandM, Oct 21, 2009.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Alright well I have to ask what would be a good shrub to cover a fence up. I have a 25ft. strip of fence open to another yard that the owner would like some more privacy. I was thinking ligustrums? any other ideas would be greatly appreaciated thanks!

2. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Ligustrum, eleagnus, waxmyrtle etc

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

buttonwood, viburnum, coco plumb, oleander, copper leaf, Allamanda would climb the fence if thats what your looking to do. Also plants already mentioned above.

4. greenpoint

greenpoint LawnSite Member

This.

All species listed will work well, but I prefer the oleander - it flowers, and will grow nicely to 10+ feet... just don't let your pets (or you) eat them! :)

5. TandM

from south

she has 2 oleanders and Im looking to break them up a bit. Thanks so much!

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I know what will eat em.....oleander Caterpillar....keep an eye out on those for sure.

7. SunState Lawn Care inc

SunState Lawn Care inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Jax, FL

Ligustrums will do great I have them at my house as a fence/barrier they are about 6' tall +- . They grow fast and are very hardy plants BUT they do need trimming pretty often to keep nice looking.

8. TandM

from south

Yea she has oleander caterpillar right now so I gotta get rid of that. its eaten like half or one in like a month. those little critters are insane. I think im goin with ligustrums.

9. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

All the ideas are nice but it all depends on where you are at, all you say is south.
    The problem with all the other ideas is that you can still see the fence because they all will get scarce at the bottom.
    If you are deep south say Tampa on south I would use Areca Palm. If north of Tampa I would us Podacarpus it stays full all the way to the ground.
    Or us Jasmine vine I have that along my fence with Arecas and Robs and Chinese Fan along with some Bouganvillia along with ground plants and I gurantee you I cant see one bit of crappy white pvc fence of my neighbors.

10. TandM

from south

Im located in southeastern georgia to be precise. right above jacksonville. and ligustrums are pretty full. but podacarpus I have never heard of. tell me about it?