Like Father, Like Son

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Apr 3, 2001.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This year I decided to let my 13 year old son cut some lawns around the neighborhood. I don't use both ZTR's all the time, so he could use one on days that I don't need it. I ordered him a new T-230 . My T-270's are a little too big for him. He can run the mower a lot better than some of the helpers that I've had!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think thats fantastic that hes showing an interest in your business. Hopefully as the years progress you two will be able to overcome most of the detriments between parent child working relationships.

As a word of caution, up here in NYS if they are under 18 they cannot legally operate a deck mower(over 21") of any kind for profit.

Good Luck to you both!
    Kris

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Sounds like you got a good boy there Bob. :)

Did you make him sign a non compete sheet. :D

It's good to see a young guy out there making money instead of watching TV and playing their Game Boy's. You should be proud of him. Give him a pat on the back from ME? ;)

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 14 and I basically got MY DAD started mowing. Gonna cut my first lawn this year tomorrow, I can't wait to get out and cut some grass again! I know it seems kinda late, but for a while we were running about 10-20 degrees below normal temp. Boy I hope we get lots of rain, I've got to get a shortblock $$$, MS Frontpage $$$, Shin. T270 $$$......
    I DON'T OWN A NINTENDO, AND I DON'T WATCH MUCH TV, (except for Junkyard Wars, and an occasional Classic Tractors). I'm also homeschooled (please don't call it homeBOUND, it sounds like I'm in jail or something) By the way, Eric, how good is MS Frontpage?

5. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

That's great, my son is about to turn 11 and likes nothing better than to help me mow grass. Teach 'em to work while their young.

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Now you can send him out while you are back at home sippin on a couple cold ones....arrrrrr I mean doing paperwork.

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Three words: Child labor laws!! Just kidding, man that's cool!! Maybe I need to get busy and procreate so I can have some help! :D

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know why more young people dont cut grass im 15 and make bundle at my age and y friends are all poor mostly sucks for them not me i buy whatever i need but invest most of it

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

that's what i do all summer instead of going to the mall or something, I have a lot of elderly customers that couldn't work in the yard if they wanted to , Then again it is fun to go riding by on a bike a think to yourself what a good job you did!

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Does you son tell lots of jokes Bob?