"like gator blades?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Mar 3, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

It seems that I have may been shipped some blades that are like gator blades, but are not gators. Do gator blades have a stamp or something on them? Also just curios to see we you are buying yours from.

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

You have to watch because there are several "house" brands of "gator-style" blades. This has happened to me a few times. The blades still seem to work well though. True Gator's usually have 3 to 4 mulching tips pointed OUTWARD. Some of the copy type blades usually have the mulch tips pointed INWARD.

3. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

:cool:

I've used gator blades for 4 years now and love there shreading ability, but don't like to use them for my first few cuts of the season and when leaf removal comes around. I generally will go through my distributor for gator blades, but if by chance one of my guys hit something hard enough(and we all wish this would never happen, and hasn't happened yet to me)and they either crack or permanetly damage a blade or two, keep an extra set in yout truck. I'f ya are all plum out, then i believe Lesco carries gator blades for different brand movers.

thanks,

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there is usually a stamp of a "gator" on the blade.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a knockoff set of gators that are not as good as the gators. I could tell a difference right away. I will only buy real gators from now on.

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Go Gator Blades - Mow anytime, anywhere - rain or shine. If you double blade try gator on top and regular blade at 90 degrees on the bottom. The double blade deal makes the leaves in the fall just disappear. I mow throwing inward on leaves, and when I am done it looks bagged.

7. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

The gators, rule in blades and football! Check the bottom of the blade & you'll see a gator stamped on them if they're true gators. The knock off's don't perform nearly as well and I think the steel is harder in a true gator. They're now making them with three different pitches on the back side of the blade so you can bag with them if you have an Accelerator XL or a grass gobbler...or whatever! I love them and the reduction I get out of them.

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

My experience mirrors theirs exactly. Ther is a gator stamp on the grass side of the blade. But the Gators do NOT rule in football. The Seminoles do- period!

Cordially,
    Sheppard