1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

like to get my feet wet maintaining sports fields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Aug 13, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

like to look into maintaining sports fields (seeding,aeration,fertilizing ...)
    any of you do it?
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

40 hors a week for a living. i take care of softball,baseball,football.soccer etc. what can i do for you?:cool:
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

five star thank you for your reply. with the dep and epa hounding all the small town sports programs i think that they would be looking into outside help on applications and core aerations/seeding. i am in the process of getting a aeravator and havw a perm-a-green spreader and its perfect for large areas.
    i just need to get out there and intruduce my company.
    what do you think?
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your nuts. I tried it and you know where I am. You got the sensitive people, the environmental people, the budget people, the know it all people, the fields too booked to get any time off on it, you gotta work on Sundays and holidays cause they might be the only day a field isn't used. I wanna be at the shore on weekends and with my family on holidays and I want the same for my employees.
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

ant, i would make sure you have proper lic etc. My feelings is it can be done but there may be alot of hassles like hbfox said.I guess the way to start would be sending info to the mangers of sports fields in your area.Your best customers may be high schools with good programs(football) because they make money for schools.I'm not sure ..good luck .email or post for more info.:cool:
  6. SLC1

SLC1 Guest

That is primarily our only customers, and we are pretty happy with where we stand, we only deal with the the Athletic director, our best customers are entire school systems, we are currently doing complete maintenance at three entire schools systems, and we also are taking care of a few little leagues, they pay quickly and are pretty easy to get along with, we just do what the contract states and do what they want and make sure that all your paperwork is in order, it took a while to break into doing this kind of work and it was a big jump, in responsiblity, bid bonds, performance bonds, very high insurance limits, ect, but I feel that it is worth it in the long run . Just my two cents