1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Like to get your opinion

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gcinque, Apr 21, 2004.

1. gcinque

gcinque LawnSite Member

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and need some input .
    I’m looking to purchase a wide cut walk-behind mower for my ½ acre property. The property is basically flat with few trees located around the perimeter. I use a Snapper 22” mower with mulching blade and it takes me along time to cut the lawn. Since I cut the lawn once a week, I don’t want to make a big investment and buy a heavy duty unit. Before finding this site I was considering the Simplicity Pacer WB the Snapper dealer offered, does anybody have any comments/input on that model? I did a search on this site and came across other brands to consider. Which would be a low maintence unit?
    What do I look for in a used WB?

The dealers in my area sell the following units:

1. Troy Bilt 33” Deck 9HP B&S engine $1399
    2. Sutech 33” Deck 91/2HP B&S engine $1399
    3. Simplicity Pacer 34” Deck 13HP B&S engine $1999
    4. Swisher WB80042F 42”Deck 8 HP B&S engine $1299 Free Shipping

Thanks in advance for your time,
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you are planning on keeping this mower,do yourself a favor and buy something of higher quality than what you have listed above.

You can buy a 36" belt drive exmark walk behind for somewhere around the $2000 mark that you have quoted for the simplicity,and you will have a top quality mower that will last you a lifetime doing your own lawn.
    Forget the rest of the overpriced homeowner stuff you have listed.JMO.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yup yup. Ditto
  4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Ditto, ditto. Anything with a Tecumseh or B&S engine (except for their commercial Vanguard) should serve as a red flag. Try to stick with Kawasaki, Kohler or Honda engines. A decent-size engine powering a 42-48" deck will save you a lot of time. You can sometimes find good deals on used belt-drive walk-behinds that were traded in for hydro units. Good luck!
  5. JWR

JWR LawnSite Member

A used Gravely walk behind with a 40" deck would do wonders and cut your place in 15-20 min. I have one.
    If you're as lazy as me you can add the riding sulky. Or you can walk behind it until you get old and then buy the sulky. Either way it will outlast you.
  6. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to take a look at our Quick 36 mower. I think it may be exactly what you're looking for.

7. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Is that a single hydro drive that requires manual steering or is it dual? I looked at a Ferris Hydro-cut and it appeared to not have independent braking. I have a couple of hills that I need to mow, approximately a 20-30 degree angle and one dealer told me that I would have to fight a machine without dual drive. I tend to believe him as my Ariens commercial with swivel wheels in the front acts that way, although it is a light mower and not a huge problem. Otherwise that machine looks great to me for the price.
  8. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

There's a bank behind our plant that is a measured 29 degrees. For what it's worth, folks usually overstate the degree of a hill (me included). What people often refer to as a 50-60 degree slope is usually about 25-30. The guy who owns our building refuses to get on it with his ZTR (and I don't blame him!). Just for fun the other day, I mowed it in about fifteen minutes with our Quick 36. Granted, I had to mow it up and down (not across), but it did a beautiful job and never spun a wheel. I didn't have one available for comparison at the moment, but I really doubt that a belt drive walk-behind would even climb this hill.

If your property is arranged such that the "big hill" can be mowed up and down, our machine will do your job with no problem (and for about half the price of a dual drive).

9. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

That is not the case. I mow parallel with the road, which is elevated from my property. Granted this would only be about three passes with a large mower, so if the struggle is not backbreaking, I can hold it there for the five minutes it would take. The other area is around the elevated property surrounding my pool. Again, not a lot of mowing but quite cumbersome to mow up and down because the area is only about 15-20 feet of travel from the flat to the crest but runs 100' on each side and 60' along the back.
  10. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

I'm glad this came up. I just went out and measured the slope that I'm looking at a wb for. It's 30 degree and not really laid out to mow up and down. I'll agree that the quick 36 looks like quite a bargain in the general sense. Unfortunately, in my case, it probably isn't. Thanks for all the info.